From Luvox to Viibryd to PSSD- My story

New members can only post here until they introduce themselves
Matthias66

From Luvox to Viibryd to PSSD- My story

Unread post by Matthias66 »

Hello everyone,

So this is my story. I'm going to try to keep it simple as I can.

When I was a young boy, I started exhibiting symptoms of minor OCD and insomnia. So my mom and dad took me to several counselors, and eventually I was put on Trazodone (Desyrel), which I still take today for sleep,
and a slew of SSRIs until they found that Luvox (Fluvoxamine) worked best for me. I took 25-50 mg of Luvox for the next 15-16 years, through elementary, middle, high school, and college.

Antidepressants made me more aggressive, more introverted, more serious, and slightly more anxious. Luvox stopped working for me, so my doctor prescribed the newest antidepressant out at that time- Viibryd (Vilazodone).
Which worked greater- gave me energy, sexual functioning was good for the most part. Until I realized the price tag without insurance- $320 - $330 A MONTH! I said "Screw that!" and weaned myself off of Viibryd with little
issues. Mostly I was hypomanic, but that settled down after awhile.

Then I started noticing the numbness.....and the lack of libido. And I learned about PSSD- a little too late :( I feel great now off antidepressants- I'm more confident, more extroverted, more fun-loving. But I have a numb dick
and low libido, and while it is not what makes me me- it is annoying, and I'm not happy about it, and I am trying to find a solution. I have have PSSD for about 4 years now.

I am hopeful. I am not depressed- my sexuality doesn't define me. But I would like to have sensation again and sexual desire. So the quest for a cure continues on. But I will stay positive because I believe there is a solution or
cure. They have done successful experiments with 5HT1a antagonists on mice with reversible of sexual side effects, and I am strongly looking into 5HT1a antagonists.

Good luck guys, and keep fighting!
Thomas

Re: From Luvox to Viibryd to PSSD- My story

Unread post by Thomas »

Matthias66 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:30 pm I was put on Trazodone (Desyrel), which I still take today for sleep
Did you consider stopping first?
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Symptoms: sexual & emotional numbness
Markc1113

Unread post by Markc1113 »

My pssd was from viibryd as well. I also had zero issues while taking it and was on it for a few years. The only difference is I just quit taking it I did not taper. But my problems didn’t arise until a week and a half to two weeks after stopping it. It’s been a nightmare. I have now had pssd for a year and a half.
Markc1113

I would call the manufacturer and file a complaint like I did.
Matthias66

Unread post by Matthias66 »

Thomas wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:46 am
Did you consider stopping first?
[/quote]

I have considered quitting Trazodone, but I need that for sleep. I have tried Melatonin, Cherry Juice (which was the closest thing to making me fall asleep), 5-HTP, L-Tryptophan, etc.

But nothing works as well as Trazodone. And Trazodone, I believe, doesn't cause sexual dysfunction, since its mechanism is different from an SSRI, slightly. It is a SARI- Serotonin Antagonist Reuptake Inhibitor.
And from my reading and understanding- considering that it has a different mechanism of action and works on 5HT2a, not 5HT1a, it does not have the sexual side effects associated with SSRIs.

But good idea though! But I need Trazodone to sleep, otherwise I am an insomniac.
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

I made the mistake to go back to AD because of some insomnia. Now insomnia is much much worse. There are plenty of non-AD drugs that could help for insomnia.
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Symptoms: sexual & emotional numbness
Trazohell

Unread post by Trazohell »

Similar to me, first Luvox and then Trazodone, bam PSSD.
So that Vilazodone is "prosexual" is just another lie from Bigpharma.
Don't take Trazodone dude, it will make you worse!
June 2015 - April 2016 Fluoxetine
April 2016 - March 2017 Fluvoxamine
December 2017 9 days Trazodone
After Trazodone PSSD: loss of libido & spontaneous/night/morning erections, prostate/pelvic pain, genital numbness, lower sperm count, Anhedonia
Markc1113

I would definitely not say it’s pro sexual. Maybe less sexual side effects when on it than others because it has a 5ht1a agonist in it.
Dalmatian

Unread post by Dalmatian »

Matthias66 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:30 pm Hello everyone,

So this is my story. I'm going to try to keep it simple as I can.

When I was a young boy, I started exhibiting symptoms of minor OCD and insomnia. So my mom and dad took me to several counselors, and eventually I was put on Trazodone (Desyrel), which I still take today for sleep,
and a slew of SSRIs until they found that Luvox (Fluvoxamine) worked best for me. I took 25-50 mg of Luvox for the next 15-16 years, through elementary, middle, high school, and college.

Antidepressants made me more aggressive, more introverted, more serious, and slightly more anxious. Luvox stopped working for me, so my doctor prescribed the newest antidepressant out at that time- Viibryd (Vilazodone).
Which worked greater- gave me energy, sexual functioning was good for the most part. Until I realized the price tag without insurance- $320 - $330 A MONTH! I said "Screw that!" and weaned myself off of Viibryd with little
issues. Mostly I was hypomanic, but that settled down after awhile.

Then I started noticing the numbness.....and the lack of libido. And I learned about PSSD- a little too late :( I feel great now off antidepressants- I'm more confident, more extroverted, more fun-loving. But I have a numb dick
and low libido, and while it is not what makes me me- it is annoying, and I'm not happy about it, and I am trying to find a solution. I have have PSSD for about 4 years now.

I am hopeful. I am not depressed- my sexuality doesn't define me. But I would like to have sensation again and sexual desire. So the quest for a cure continues on. But I will stay positive because I believe there is a solution or
cure. They have done successful experiments with 5HT1a antagonists on mice with reversible of sexual side effects, and I am strongly looking into 5HT1a antagonists.

Good luck guys, and keep fighting!
Hello Mathias,

Don't know if you are still there, but my sexual dysfunction started while taking trazodone and still to this day, 1 year and 7 months since withdrawal, still hasn't returned to 100%.

There are also other people on this forum who got severe PSSD from trazodone which still hasn't resolved. Moreover, I found additional 10-15 people who were completely impotent and asexual while taking trazodone but luckily for them once they stopped it all returned. In fact, I think that as many as 20-30% of people taking trazodone could have serious sexual side-effects and that trazodone is pro-sexual in only small subset of people.

So it's entirely possible that trazodone is causing you this issues so I suggest you try to slowly tapper it off
Trazodone, 25 pills (50/100/150mg), April '19, quit cold turkey

Improved significantly in 3 years. Greatest improvements came within the first year and a half. Still suffering from mild PSSD.