How I fixed my PSSD

New members can only post here until they introduce themselves
Ron0224

How I fixed my PSSD

Unread post by Ron0224 »

Three years ago after a traumatic event in my life, I started taking lexapro. After experiencing a loss of libido after a month of treatment I discontinued it and switched to Wellbutrin xl. After three months of Wellbutrin xl I decided to discontinue the drug, having no idea that abrupt discontinuation can wreck havoc on your mind. Within a week of discontinuation I experienced complete genital numbness, debilitating social anxiety, anhedonia and a complete inability to orgasm. It felt like someone had cut the thread connecting my mind to my heart. My emotions were all muted to nothingness. I couldn’t love, feel joy, feel sadness, or pleasure for anything in life. I do not know if the symptoms were related specifically to the Wellbutrin or as a delayed response to the lexapro, but I believe both were the cause.
Fast forward to today and my symptoms are about 85 percent improved. The ability to orgasm has returned completely, and the majority of the genital numbness has improved, Every month I seem to improve a further 1-2 percent. For the first year after SSRI/NDRI discontinuation I experienced little if any improvement. The genital numbness and ability to orgasm were complete, and were utterly devastating. Improvements only occurred after I started treating my symptoms as though I had a experienced a traumatic brain injury. I did everything I could to heal neuronal pathways in my brain as much as possible with the hope that the sexual symptoms would heal when the brain did. My entire focus in life became devoted to healthy living. I believe that if you follow this treatments you can achieve the same results I have.
First, abstain from ALL drugs. Limit alcohol as much as possible. (It literally kills neural pathways) No weed or any mild altering substance (mushrooms could be an exception). Unless you are actively suicidal, do not take any new antidepressants or psychiatric drugs of any sort. All have their own side effects, and will inhibit neurotransmitter homeostasis.
Extreme amounts of exercise. Literally If you can go on 100 mile hikes, run every day for at least 20 minutes, and spend 5-6 days in the gym Lifting weights. Exercise has been shown to be the best promoter of BDNF in your brain. Even a short run daily will ,ore than double your neuronal growth. Spend as much time in nature as possible. Even just lounging by a river promotes endorphin release. Weights will increase testosterone naturally and stimulate the body to heal itself.
My supplements were all based on what the science shows can help to heal your brain after a TBI. Take omega 3 fish oil (again promotes bdnf). 4000 Iu vitamin D. Vitamin D is critical for neurotransmitter production. Most Americans are at least at borderline low levels.
L-theanine (neurotransmitter precursor). I don’t know if this one helped or not, but I wanted my Brian to half all the necessary components it needed to make neurotransmitters.
Take heavy amounts of probiotics. Specifically I drank one glass of kefir daily. Many bacteria in your gut produce neurotransmitters in your brain. Having a healthy brain gut is essential to brain health.

Other dietary changes that I did include limiting sugar intake(curbs BDNF production in rats) cutting out all wheat (refined grains are immediately just converted to sugar), and taking high quantities of high polyphenol foods such as blueberries, dark chocolate, and fresh herbs.

I do no think there is any one supplement that can fix pssd. It requires complete dedication to overall health. Of all that I listed, I believe the most important is exercise. Take the stairs, park far away from the store. Go find new trails. Explore the world. Find the time.
Do not lose hope. You can heal, but it will take your complete and unending dedication.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15672635/

Dietary omega-3 fatty acids normalize BDNF levels, reduce oxidative damage, and counteract learning disability after traumatic brain injury in rats

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27253067/

Exercise promotes the expression of brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) through the action of the ketone body β-hydroxybutyrate

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4393509/
Indigenous bacteria from the gut microbiota regulate host serotonin biosynthesis

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6042449/

Optimal vitamin D spurs serotonin: 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D represses serotonin reuptake transport (SERT) and degradation (MAO-A) gene expression in cultured rat serotonergic neuronal cell lines
Leb89

Re: How I fixed my PSSD

Unread post by Leb89 »

Thank you for sharing your story! Did the anhedonia also heal? Can you feel your emotions again? Libido is also 85 % healed?
john099

Unread post by john099 »

Thank you for posting this - a lot of people seem to benefit from lifting weights and running. Can you please describe in a little more detail what has improved and how long you had PSSD? thanks
Ron0224

Unread post by Ron0224 »

When the pssd started, it was complete genital numbness. On the rare occasion when I was able to orgasm, the contractions were there but the feeling of any pleasure was minimal. The numbness lasted an entire year, and then ever so slowly started to get better month by month. I would have occasional “windows” where I would see some improvement but then the following month the numbness would return. It took around two years to improve around 50 percent, and then this past year it has further improved to about 85 percent of normal. Orgasms followed a similar trend. I still can tell that the decreased sensation exists, but it’s minimal.
During those years I tried all sorts of various supplements, but there were no quick fixes. Just like I made the mistake to believe a pill could fix my depression, I had hoped a pill could fix my pssd, but I really don’t think that is the case.
As far as the anhedonia goes, it is still there but life is regaining its meaning. I don’t know if I will ever return completely to my old self, but the trend is in the right direction.
john099

Unread post by john099 »

Thank you for the quick reply - can you tell if anything in particular has helped - I know you mentioned exercise and weights. Any type of special diet? Keto, Carnivore, paleo? What would be the best advice you have for someone still with bad penile numbness?
Ron0224

Unread post by Ron0224 »

John, I eliminated all wheat from my diet and replaced the wheat with more protein and more vegetables. I was inspired to do that after reading a book called Wheat Belly, written by the cardiologist William Davis. I do not know if it helped the genital numbness, but it certainly improved my overall health. Wheat, especially white bread and refined grains are immediately converted in your body to sugar. Sustained elevated glucose can lead to neuropathy in diabetics, and is a known libido killer. I also steered away from white rice for similar reasons.
Again I really don’t know if eliminating wheat had anything to do with the improvement in my pssd symptoms. At the very least, you will become healthier and if obese, will likely lose weight. I think exercise really was what helped the most. I mean massive amounts, at a minimum several hours a day of some sort of movement if you can tolerate it. If you are out of shape start slow obviously and just do what you can. I wish you luck! Pssd is literally the worst thing in the world. Keep fighting.
john099

Unread post by john099 »

Appreciate the advice - I think exercise cannot be underestimated with this condition - I know it seems too simple but there any plenty of stories similar to yours where sprinting and lifting weights seemed to help a lot. Thanks!
Amisrableguy

Unread post by Amisrableguy »

Not gonna work won’t even help other than give you post workout high!

I powerlift and can deadlift 700 pound post pssd! Won’t work u likely didn’t have pssd
Ron0224

Unread post by Ron0224 »

A miserableguy I went from a completely normal and healthy sexual function to absolutely zero sexual function immediately following antidepressant use that has lasted several years. I absolutely have pssd and it is not related to anything else. All hormone levels were checked and are normal. That being said, I was only on antidepressants for four months, so maybe the level of “damage“ I experienced was less than that of someone who took antidepressants for multiple years.
Also, I said nothing about power lifting. Sure I spent time in the gym but the majority of my exercise was unrelated to just lifting weights. All I know is that the combination of everything I did is helping. Before you immediately jump to the conclusion that what I did won’t work, maybe you should try it. Given that your name on here is amiserableguy, I would guess you haven’t had much luck yet, so what do you have to lose?
Amisrableguy

Unread post by Amisrableguy »

I do workout I can deadlift 750! By the time I’m 22 I will be the strongest person in the world and I don’t even understand how I have pssd! Let me ask u this how did ur gentials feel to touch when they were numb do u get that burning friction when u rub them together? Or did it feel like ur elbow numb and painless!