Was mentally healthy before I took an antidepressant

New members can only post here until they introduce themselves
KaneIntent

Was mentally healthy before I took an antidepressant

Unread post by KaneIntent »

My story is a little bit different from most with PSSD and I figured I’d finally share it. I was prescribed Nortriptyline(A tricyclic antidepressant) in summer 2017 for chronic pain that I had been having for years. I took the pills without hesitation, which turned out to be the worst mistake of my entire life. Before I took Nortriptyline I had no history of mental health issues whatsoever, not even the slightest depression or anxiety. I always had an upbeat personality and never considered myself to have anything wrong with me. After a few days on the antidepressant though I began to experience significant anhedonia and emotional numbing. I also had sexual dysfunction too, significantly lowered libido, loss of pleasure, and difficulty orgasming, but the mental symptoms were far more bothersome.
I was on the drug for 6 months before quitting, and after I quit I expected my brain to go back to normal, but to my surprise that never happened. I still have the anhedonia, emotional blunting, lowered libido, and sexual dysfunction, and premature ejaculation which hasn’t seemed to improve over the years since. Now life feels “muted”, almost like everything lost its color. The best way I can describe it is it feels like the spark went out in my life. Everything is less enjoyable and much of daily life is a chore now. My former optimistic and upbeat personality is gone, replaced by a persistent apathy and numbness. Luckily I was on a low dosage so my mental issues aren’t nearly as severe as some people on here, but it still makes me want to cry when I think about how much happier I was before I took Nortriptyline. It literally took only days for my entire personality to change after starting. I haven’t had a single day where I felt like my old self since then.
Amisrableguy

Re: Was mentally healthy before I took an antidepressant

Unread post by Amisrableguy »

You workout?
Northern_Star

Unread post by Northern_Star »

Hi KaneIntent,

I am sorry you are going through this. Thank you for posting your story! It is valuable. You can imagine that many complaints of the people here about persistent mental and sexual side effects are dismissed by the deniers, because most here had a diagnosis of depression or anxiety before. That's why they took ADs in the first place. But we all know that it's the drugs that make things worse and add new mental, sexual and other issues. Your story supports that and that's why it is valuable.

May I ask you to participate in the Propeciahelp survey. It is designed to collect data of the symptomatoly of people who suffer from persistent side effects from Finasteride (Propecia, Proscar), Antidepressants and Isotretinoin (Accutane) and will hopefully inform research going forward. You find additional information here: https://forum.propeciahelp.com/t/post-d ... pate/34482

Thank you and good luck!
bockemossen

Unread post by bockemossen »

KaneIntent wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:57 pm My story is a little bit different from most with PSSD and I figured I’d finally share it. I was prescribed Nortriptyline(A tricyclic antidepressant) in summer 2017 for chronic pain that I had been having for years. I took the pills without hesitation, which turned out to be the worst mistake of my entire life. Before I took Nortriptyline I had no history of mental health issues whatsoever, not even the slightest depression or anxiety. I always had an upbeat personality and never considered myself to have anything wrong with me. After a few days on the antidepressant though I began to experience significant anhedonia and emotional numbing. I also had sexual dysfunction too, significantly lowered libido, loss of pleasure, and difficulty orgasming, but the mental symptoms were far more bothersome.
I was on the drug for 6 months before quitting, and after I quit I expected my brain to go back to normal, but to my surprise that never happened. I still have the anhedonia, emotional blunting, lowered libido, and sexual dysfunction, and premature ejaculation which hasn’t seemed to improve over the years since. Now life feels “muted”, almost like everything lost its color. The best way I can describe it is it feels like the spark went out in my life. Everything is less enjoyable and much of daily life is a chore now. My former optimistic and upbeat personality is gone, replaced by a persistent apathy and numbness. Luckily I was on a low dosage so my mental issues aren’t nearly as severe as some people on here, but it still makes me want to cry when I think about how much happier I was before I took Nortriptyline. It literally took only days for my entire personality to change after starting. I haven’t had a single day where I felt like my old self since then.
Sorry to hear. Can I ask you what dose you used?