Animus intro SSRI and an antipsychotic

New members can only post here until they introduce themselves
Animus

Animus intro SSRI and an antipsychotic

Unread post by Animus »

2014-10 I started taking Escitalopram 10 mg and Risperidone 3 mg daily and took both for 6 weeks. This was my first time on psych meds. High libido before them. Noticed deteriorating libido while taking but thought everything would be back to normal once I stopped. This was not the case. My libido was zero after I cold turkeyed and I even lost my morning erections. Now morning erections are back, but not much improvement in libido.
My symptoms are: low libido, low arousal, desire, great difficulty in reaching orgasm (anorgasmia). Intensity of orgasm, semen amount or density is not affected. No genital anesthesia or emotional issue. I have other neurological problems from the meds too (risperidone), like dystonia and peripheral neuropathy. I don't know which drug caused my PSSD (or PAPSD).
I take fish oil, Magnesium 300 mg, vitamin and mineral tablets daily.
I have a lot of frustration and anger at the mental health system. Living seems boring, unfulfilling without my sexuality. I'm waiting for any sort of improvement, because if I experience it, I know i will recover some day.
As I understand it, I should update my progress in this thread, right?
Animus

Re: Animus intro SSRI and an antipsychotic

Unread post by Animus »

I stopped taking it around 2015-01-01, when I learned about antipsychiatry, have been off 5 months now. I have not checked out my hormone levels, though don't think they're responsible here. I did have raised prolactin when on the antipsychotic, because my chest fat increased a tiny bit. Risperidone was for a misdiagnosis of psychosis my psychiatrist perceived in me. I have never experienced a psychosis. Escitalopram for the misdiagnosis of severe depression, which I don't think I have. Thanks for the reply.
Animus

Unread post by Animus »

catalunya wrote:how was psychosis misdiagnosed?
I was hit in the head in a fight. I did no damage, but after that I started groundlessly and obsessively worrying that it did, searching the internet about mild traumatic brain injury and the like. I went to a neurologist, she did some tests, said everything is fine. Later I went to psychiatrist and expressed my concern about the supposed brain trauma. And since worrying about something being wrong in your brain is common in schizophrenics, she diagnosed psychosis and gave me neuroleptics and cipralex straight away :x :x :x .

What percentage of people recover from PSSD after 5 year, would you say? Especially ones that only took it for a short time. Because some people do recover, I read it on the web. Recovery after 1.5 years, 7 years, 3 years.
I only took this escitalopram poison for like 1.5 month and my libido has been thoroughly destroyed. How could evolution leave us so vulnerable to too much serotonin in the synapse? We are genetically inferior to those not susceptible to PSSD. Should I go to my country's FDA? Everyone affected should create a Youtube video.
Sonny

Unread post by Sonny »

People don't recover. People lie. They lie a lot. Probably at least 50% of people are totally full of shit at least 50% of the time.
pete

Unread post by pete »

Sonny wrote:People don't recover. People lie. They lie a lot. Probably at least 50% of people are totally full of shit at least 50% of the time.
Bullshit. I already recovered from 0 to 6/10 over 2 years. Recovery is slow but possible.
Animus

Unread post by Animus »

Sonny wrote:People don't recover. People lie. They lie a lot. Probably at least 50% of people are totally full of shit at least 50% of the time.
I don't know, you mean to tell that peoples brains can't get to baseline? I find it strange that the brain does not go to baseline right away. Of course, it's not prepared for these abnormal states. I've seen people report recovery all over the internet. I myself may have had progress, like 1%, but I'm not sure - need more time and tests.
Of all the substances that psychiatry could have used as antidepressants, they used the one that's arguably ineffective and perhaps the only one that can cause these disastrous semi-permanent alterations in such a short time, I mean what's worse than having low dopomine for depressed people? They could have used amphetamines as ADs.
People may have had PSSD from very early on, from the MAOIs (but I believe they don't cause SD often) and tricyclics, because they raise serotonin too. I wonder if there were any PSSD forums in the 90s. The Yahoo group would be very valuable too if I could find their introduction/case history pages, but I think it's very disorganized, I can't find where people do updates about their condition there.
By the way, I'm Lithuanian with Lithuanian (50%) and Ukrainian (50%) ancestry.
Animus

Unread post by Animus »

And want to share my slight improvements. In the beginning, I had no arousal, could not induce an erection by thought, extremely low precum (just a few drops). Now, 11 months post SSRI, I have regained a slight glimpse of my previous arousal, psychogenic erections have returned (but are difficult to get), also have more lubrication. It's frustrating, but there is hope. Waiting for further improvements.
This week I'll be going to a psychiatrist to ask for a dopamine agonist, either ropinirole or pramipexole (ropinirole is, I think, better, because it has ~20 x selectivity for D3 over D2 (and I read that D3 has anti-anhedonic and pro-sexual properties), while pramipexole has just 8 x. But ropinirole has the disadvantage of a shorter half life (5-6 hours vs pramipexole's 8–12 hours). I'm wary of buspirone, am afraid to play with serotonin, also, since it stimulates autoreceptors, there is theoretically some downregulation. Also wary of cabergoline (affects serotonin, can cause heart disease in Parkinson's doses). Not sure about bupropion and it's affinity for the serotonin transporters, thought one source says it's ki is 9100 nM. Read that the effects of bupropion are short lived. I'm afraid the dopamine agonists can mess up my brain. Some report it did (1, 2). Though other say it's incredible. Will see. I also wonder if anyone tried to beat PSSD with Parkinson's dosages, like 8-20 mg of ropinirole a day, or 4 mg of pramipexole a day. I tend to think that would cause hypersexuality in anyone. Though PSSD is a very effective chemical castration.
Animus

Unread post by Animus »

Update 2016-04:
Things I have tried:
Ropinirole: around 4 mg a day for a week, then mega-dosing with up to 30 mg. No sexual effects, just nausea.
Buspirone: around 30 mg a day for a few days, then mega-dosing with up to 60 mg. Even tried nasal insufflation. No sexual effects. Funny side effects - brain/body zaps, dizziness.
Bupropion: 150-300 mg for two weeks, then mega-dosing with up to 1 gram. Attempted to use this drug recreationally by performing a water extraction on 2 grams worth of pills, then snorting around 1 gram of the dried powder. No effect, so consumed the rest of the powder orally (1 gram). No sexual effects. Slight stimulation (like from two energy drinks) from 1 gram orally, no effect at all from lower doses (maybe I'm a poor metabolizer). Warning: the dosages I took could cause seizures and death, stick to 150-300 mg, it's a lame drug anyway.
Fake yohimbine hcl: took 10, 15, 30 ... then, 75 mg of it - no effect, not even stimulation, so I assume the pills were fake. Contacted manufacturer, was explained there are different kinds of it - beta (one I supposedly bought), alpha, and mixes between the two. Yeah, right, the powder inside the capsules tasted sweet, when it's supposed to taste bitter.
L-Tyrosine: dosage - 1-3 gram. Effect: none.
Red ginseng: regular dosing and mega-dosing by drinking half a bottle which is intended to last for weeks. No effects or side effects.
Ginkgo Biloba: dosing - something like 150 mg a day for a few days. No effects.
Zinc (gluconate): up to 100 mg a day for weeks. No sexual effects, but coincided with a window when I had more libido, but no effect after window. Side effects: nausea.

I don't really want to experiment with anything now (was planning to experiment with marijuana, yohimbine and tianeptine (last one for it's opiate high)), because I had a week long windows in January this year, where I had around 50-70 % of my libido (up from my pssd baseline, which is around 20 %). Right now I'm either in a two week long window of around 50 - 60 % libido, or my baseline just increased. So things are going well. I can actually feel intense pleasure and desire when masturbating (which I just couldn't before), when I really get into it, but not so much desire just by thinking about girls, or seeing pictures... The refractory period varies. Sometime I can regain pre-orgasm libido after like 20 min, sometimes not.
I'm in good spirits, not too worried, especially since things are improving. And I'm seeing that there's more to life than just sexual pleasure. Traveled some last year (Ukraine, Poland, Italy,), which is cool, because I never did that before. Will buy a new PC soonish (last one got confiscated), instead of my current craptop, so I can play latest modern games. Maybe we could create a PSSD gaming group, to get people's minds off PSSD?
Edit: window now over as of ~2016-04-05 :( back to square one (libido 30%, though it varies)

Update 2016-05-30:
Yohimbine HCL (real, from PC): some stimulant effect from like 60 mg, but didn't notice libido increase. Will test more later, I suppose.
Natural recovery (which is slow) is the only thing that seems to be working for me. When I get windows, at least.
Animus

Partial recovery

Unread post by Animus »

Update 2016-07-14:
Hey guys. It's been 1 year and 8 months since I got PSSD. I have significant improvements to report in terms of my PSSD, libido. For the last week, I've been somewhat horny, can feel sexual pleasure, response to sexual stimuli is definitely there. Keeping erections is easier. I wouldn't say I'm all the way back to pre-PSSD baseline, but close, and if these improvements keep happening, I'll get there eventually. I don't think this is just a window, since it's been like this for like 5 days now. For the record, I'm not taking anything.
Wish all you guys recovery as well.
krawt

Unread post by krawt »

Hi, my story is similar to yours down to anti-psychotic. Please keep up updated on what methods you have tried or if you are naturally improving. Thanks.