Class action lawsuit for people damaged by escitalopram?

Topics related to activism.
Spins

Re: Class action lawsuit for people damaged by escitalopram?

Unread post by Spins »

Maxin wrote:I’m surprised no one has as of yet. The only lawsuits so far are for babies damaged in utero. I looked into it. Go any class action you need at least 30 people. Which we could easily do.
My issue with how this will go down is that our symptoms all manifest so differently. Also, of course it will be hard to prove because they will blame our issues on depression. Now that we’ve been branded as needing to take an ssri, I can foresee them saying that our symptoms are just more manifestations of “depression”.
I know that this is literally called pssd forum. But for me, and many others that I’ve gotten to know, our issues go way beyond just sexual side effects. I for one don’t even have bad sexual issues. I have debilitating fatigue and anhedonia. So I would love to come up with a proper name for us that have disability issues from ssri. Like post ssri neuroendocrine disorder. Or post ssri nervous system dysfunction. Any better ideas welcome!
Could not agree more that we need a new name. It is a syndrome that impacts multiple systems in the body. I think whatever name it takes on, needs not to be limited to a specific psychoactive substance. Sexual dysfunction, cognitive dysfunction, anhedonia, etc...can be caused by all psychoactive drugs, not just SSRIs.
sylv

Unread post by sylv »

If someone ask what PSSD does it mean just answer Post SSRI SynDrome, and tell it consist both sexual and emotional symptoms. Pure sexual dysfunction is rare and present in mild cases. Too late to change established naming

Doctors are taught and convinced by a medical education system that SSRI are perfectly safe and without critical thinking, the chances to change their beliefs are low. That's why they call "depression" a syndrome with such unusual phenomenons like genital anaesthesia ( not seen in depression ), muscle fasciculations (visible on EMG, also called "tingling, electricity felt in forehead" ) emotional blunting ( not ANHEDONIA, including limited or vanished capability to feel emotional pain and sadness - a core depression symptoms ) sleep problems ( mostly less deep, shortened sleep where in depression you could expect oversleeping ). Call this stupid, but earlier know it's a pure psychology. Some doctors just lack enough mind flexibility to fight over cognitive dissonance and simply reject everything on the spot. There are exceptions but not many.

As for lawsuit - I am still convinced if we want to sue anyone - it's should be a medical agency. It's not like in the Merck PFS case, where a single pharmaceutical company is responsible. There are many SSRI drugs, made by many companies. Hence PSSD is a system fault and medical agencies are responsible for not inquiring and then informing the public. As Healy told, the first report about persistent symptoms from antidepressants came about in 90's. There were many medical publications based on case series. A lot of time has elapsed and no one asked questions. As we know from EMA, they haven't had even a system to check if persistent means permanent, ask patients if they still suffer. Lacking a symptom dictionary to properly classify PSSD. Hell, Eli Lilly has updated the leaflet on their own and FDA or any other medical agency, have not started a larger investigation on other drugs with similar mechanism of action. The medical agencies and their committees are the ones really responsible for silence over PSSD.
Last edited by sylv on Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GIXXER

Unread post by GIXXER »

I started a thread way back asking people to post what country they were from. Maybe people from the same country should start working together and see if there's enough to proceed with a lawsuit or at least seek legal advice.
Spins

Unread post by Spins »

If it is legally feasible, I think going after the FDA or perhaps the American Pychiatric association could work in a lawsuit for failure to adequately warn of the damage these drugs cause. But again, the problem is we need to prove our injuries and more importantly, proved what caused it. And the legal system is also corrupt, especially when dealing with matters of mental health. Society would rather drug us and throw us back into circulation to pay taxes,etc... no matter what the repercussions of the drugs are. They have known that these drugs are toxic for decades, yet no one cares because our basic human rights are removed as soon as you labeled with a psychiatric issue. This is particularly true in the United States, where darwinism rains supreme.
concernedAdult

Unread post by concernedAdult »

How can depression cause physical manifestations like genital numbness?
REVOLUTIONIZE

Unread post by REVOLUTIONIZE »

Spins wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:01 pm If it is legally feasible, I think going after the FDA or perhaps the American Pychiatric association could work in a lawsuit for failure to adequately warn of the damage these drugs cause. But again, the problem is we need to prove our injuries and more importantly, proved what caused it. And the legal system is also corrupt, especially when dealing with matters of mental health. Society would rather drug us and throw us back into circulation to pay taxes,etc... no matter what the repercussions of the drugs are. They have known that these drugs are toxic for decades, yet no one cares because our basic human rights are removed as soon as you labeled with a psychiatric issue. This is particularly true in the United States, where darwinism rains supreme.
The problem is that FDA doesn't have the access to raw data from clinical trials, which are mostly run by pharmaceutical companies and 80% of them were short term only - 8 to 12 weeks. FDA only looks into published articles, which are mostly ghost written, and there is no evidence of PSSD in them.

We need to get to the point, where FDA acknowledges the issue and due to concerning reports FDA requests drug companies files with all data from clinical trials to be examined by experts not from the big pharma industry.

Dr. Healy is an expert in this field. He has contributed to revealing the hidden data about risks with paroxetine - https://www.nhs.uk/news/mental-health/a ... -on-harms/

FDA needs to wake up and notice, that drug companies are manipulating regulators in a very clever way and the strategy has been working for big pharma for a very long time. And it costs lives.
Brain food

Unread post by Brain food »

From what I have read, you can’t sue the FDA.
https://www.lawyerlocator.com/mass-tort ... tive-drugs
Under a legal concept known as "sovereign immunity" you cannot sue the FDA for approving a drug that is later proven to be defective and dangerous.
Sovereign immunity says:
Federal, state and tribal governments, as well as foreign governments, are immune from lawsuits.
However, a government may be sued if it has waived its immunity or agreed to the lawsuit.
The federal government-which would include the FDA-has waived its immunity in two limited circumstances:
Under the Federal Tort Claims Act, the government can be sued if a person acting on behalf of the U.S. government commits a tort, or a civil wrong, and
Under the Tucker Act, the U.S. government can be sued if it is party to a contract and the lawsuit relates to the contract
You might be thinking to yourself, "An FDA employee did something wrong by approving Yaz or pelvic mesh or Pradaxa or another defective drug," so I should be allowed to sue the agency under the Federal Torts Claims Act." However, there are a number of exceptions written into the Act, and one of them bars lawsuits against the FDA in conjunction with its responsibilities for licensing and approving drugs and vaccines. As a result, you cannot sue the FDA for approving a defective drug.
Brain food

Dr. Peter Breggin would probably also be willing to be an expert witness in any lawsuit against the companies who developed psychiatric drugs. He’s similar to Dr. David Healy, a psychiatrist who has spoken out against the drug industry. He has been an expert witness in many cases against the makers of psychiatric drugs, some where they he claimed they caused people to murder others or commit suicide and also in cases where companies who made antipsychotics were accused of causing Tardive dyskinesia.

https://breggin.com/huge-breakthrough-i ... facturers/
Brain food

Spins wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:44 pm
sylv wrote:
GIXXER wrote:I think its impossible to prove at this time. Maybe now that EMA reconises PSSD lawsuits will start to happen.
Maybe better to sue FDA ? Their actions are a classic example of negligence. The pharmaceutical companies provide all the data in accordance with the rules and requests drawn by a medical regulation agency. We know they have had all the data in their databases and investigated nothing. Even now they stay silent on Healy petition.
The system is corrupt beyond repair. I think the issue with any lawsuit is that Doctors are taught that psychological illnesses (i.e., depression, anxiety, etc...) are neuro-degenerative by nature. So, it's not the drugs causing system wide damage but its your "disease". We are telling them that they are wrong, but there's no test that can 100% prove that the drugs did the damage. We would need medical experts to testify on our behalf, that it is the drugs causing the damage and not our genetics. A jury would look to these experts to tell them it's possible. Unfortunately, there aren't too many willing to come forward and say it's possible to testify on our behalf, especially with their connection to the industry. Healy maybe, but I'll never understand that man. Goldstein maybe, if he is willing. I had 3 doctors blame the damage on my genetics and not the drugs. Look at the PFS guys, most of them had no history of "mental illness" and they don't have much support either.
Dr. Peter Breggin would probably also be willing to be an expert witness in any lawsuit against the companies who developed psychiatric drugs. He’s similar to Dr. David Healy, a psychiatrist who has spoken out against the drug industry. He has been an expert witness in many cases against the makers of psychiatric drugs, some where they he claimed they caused people to murder others or commit suicide and also in cases where companies who made antipsychotics were accused of causing Tardive dyskinesia.

https://breggin.com/huge-breakthrough-i ... facturers/
FindGoodNickname

Unread post by FindGoodNickname »

Janie wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:13 am I find it really strange. Really no one tried/started lawsuit for PSSD? Even now that it is recognised by EMA? Please comment if you are trying now or did it or pm me (not necessarily escitalopram). Thanks.
Germany: I have read upon an article where a German patient sued producer of Finasterid, and he had success as far as I could see. https://www.aerzteblatt.de/nachrichten/ ... uchsmittel
Not sure what exactely the outcome was. I read that the plaintiff wanted Finasterid off the market.

The things is that the lawsuite is costly. In the above case, a big law suit financer (https://omnibridgeway.com/) financed it.

I have contacted them asking if they would do the same for PSSD.

Anyone can ask them, they're international.