Good serotonergics and Bad serotonergics

This is for hypothesis and even educated speculation.
enriqueiglesias

Good serotonergics and Bad serotonergics

Unread post by enriqueiglesias »

One of the most intransparent factors in discussions on this forum I would say is the distinction between good serotonergics and bad serotonergics.

For example, St. John's Wort seems to be a classical good serotonergic, and in general the antagonism and thereby UP-regulation of the 5-HT2 receptor is recommended - but only up to a very specific, apparently magical point... On the other hand, use of ordinary serotonergics like 5HTP is strongly recommended against (if ever mentioned) and even partly claimed to cause PSSD itself (I noticed nothing of the sort, but found St.JW worse).

Along with this, SSRI-sufferers seem to display themselves as the most important group or representative of everyone, even though sexual side-effects are known for other very common medications, like Risperidone, which partly act as 5-HT2 antagonists, which is one of the methods recommended here for upregulation. Or many people's "hero" on this site (even though confirmation is stuff of pure legend) like Mirtazapine.

Even more intransparent, and contradictory with recommendations elsewhere, is the upregulation or re-sensitization of pre- and postsynaptic 5HT1A receptors. This intransparency is on the level of first-rate trolling (not that I would praise this sort of thing) and I would say will never be resolved, even after me saying so (too beneath notice for anything to change now).
But based on this, I would almost say 5HT1A receptors' role is way overestimated and can be left alone (someone will recommend against either path anyway).

Maybe there is truth to the tacit distinction between good serotonergics and bad serotonergics, but I doubt that the standard method recommended here is automatically good for everyone. First, one should distinguish the original medication's mechanism of action, and how it caused an overflow of serotonin, by receptor upregulation or reuptake inhibition. And maybe in some cases standard serotonin supplements like 5HTP are the way to go (for downregulation, not upregulation through antagonism).
And maybe in other cases, one should simply look at the other mechanisms of action (St. John's Wort) instead of the serotonin part, to make progress with the effect they show.
succubus76

Re: Good serotonergics and Bad serotonergics

Unread post by succubus76 »

We are just a group of suferers that share what work on us. And our opinion should not be taken as a medical advice. What work on me could make you worst and viceversa. We could be wrong. Even real medicine got it wrong, we are the unluckies ones harmed by"real medicine". Even the best neurologist in the planet may have not idea wa da fuq happened. Trial and error, and dont take the advices from this webiste as the panacea for a cure.