How a single dose of antidepressants can trigger PSSD: a hypothesis

This is for hypothesis and even educated speculation.
DrugsAreBad

Re: How a single dose of antidepressants can trigger PSSD: a hypothesis

Unread post by DrugsAreBad »

Mesolimbo: Licorice extract won't work since it's a potent phytoestrogen, so it would make you worse.

Couldn't an increase in cortisol levels caused by licorice over time lead to a downregulation of glucocorticoid receptors? Sounds like it would make things worse short term but possibly better long term.

Possible explanation for ggggg123? https://pssdlab.wordpress.com/ggggg123-licorice-root/
taarn

Unread post by taarn »

I found this paper very interesting. It shows that serotonin is able to cause LTD independent of eCB mediated LTD.

Serotonin Induces Long-Term Depression at Corticostriatal Synapses
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3113491/

My interpretation is that if we mess with serotonin and/or cortisol (and then glutamate) levels we are likely to induce LTD and long-lasting unwanted changes. SSRIs seem like the perfect recipe for this by increasing the levels of cortisol and serotonin simultaneously.
Some people also get long lasting or permanent sexual dysfunction from non-serotonergic antidepressants, that could be mediated by changes in cortisol/glutamate levels, although these changes are less prominent compared to SSRIs. But with SSRIs and serotonergic medications we also add in significant changes in serotonergic neurotransmission, further increasing the chance of LTD and undesired long-lasting effects.

My interpretation could be wrong, but there should be a reason why the "most serotonergic" medications are the most likely to cause permanent sexual dysfunction, even just by ingesting a few pills.
Yellow99

Unread post by Yellow99 »

Is there any scientific paper I can show to my doctor describing how you can get pssd from only a few pills? Or any other papers I can show her? Please send me links
Meso

Unread post by Meso »

Yellow99 wrote:Is there any scientific paper I can show to my doctor describing how you can get pssd from only a few pills? Or any other papers I can show her? Please send me links
No there aren't. Research on PSSD is extremely scarce, we are on our own hypothesizing.
My blog "The Research Zone" is currently :roll: down.
You are welcome to join my Discord research server: Click Here
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

Yellow99 wrote:Is there any scientific paper I can show to my doctor describing how you can get pssd from only a few pills? Or any other papers I can show her? Please send me links
This could be a good start: http://www.pssdforum.com/search.php?st= ... n&start=10
Marcel Waldinger also wrote quite a few scientific papers on PSSD, sadly he passed away 2 weeks ago.
AnhedonicApe

Unread post by AnhedonicApe »

Couldn't quitting cold turkey contribute to this? Because of the high cortisol during this?
voyteck

Unread post by voyteck »

Just a quick suggestion: 'time-dependent sensitization'. Reportedly proposed in the 80s Louis A. Chiodo i Seymor M. Antelman. Don't ask me for more details. It's just and idea I heard somewhere (neurobiologist Jerzy Vetulani). Just some food for your thought.

"Time-dependent sensitization (TDS) has been described in animal models over the past 20 years. It is a phenomenon that occurs in a variety of biological systems, and corresponds to the cellular and systems response to a foreign or stressful stimulus. The exposure to the stimulus triggers the responses typical of that particular biological system, which are progressively amplified with time. This phenomenon has potential major implications for clinical pharmacology. Some human studies have investigated this phenomenon to date." https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... armacology

1. A number of animal studies have shown that the actions of numerous drugs can grow or sensitize with the passage of time following even a single treatment, to achieve results equal to or greater than those seen after chronic administration. 2. Our laboratory earlier proposed that this principle might be applied to the treatment of human disorders. It was suggested that the same results might be achieved by giving drugs once every one or two weeks rather than daily, or, even more likely, several-times-daily. 3. Here the authors review the clinical literature relevant to that hypothesis, as it relates to antidepressant therapies. 4. The evidence uniformly supports our earlier thesis that the therapeutic influence of antidepressants would grow with the passage of time, even as their pharmacokinetic actions are declining. https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... nt_therapy
PsychoGenesis

Unread post by PsychoGenesis »

+1 for the club of 5htt short / COMT-met carriers

im incredibly susceptible