How to upregulate SERT? Maybe BDNF?

This is for hypothesis and even educated speculation.
taarn

How to upregulate SERT? Maybe BDNF?

Unread post by taarn »

While doing my research I'm getting more and more convinced that a lot of problems can be traced back to SERT downregulation/dysfunction. It's a good question why does it stay that way.
I suspect my sexual problems stems from past MDMA abuse which was shown to downregulate SERT for long term. SSRIs are the same. I also don't know why I had adverse reaction to Mirtazapine by the way.

EDIT: I just found this. I think it fits into the picture:
"Mirtazapine blocks histamine receptors that may increase drowsiness. Its therapeutic action on α2 receptors may induce downregulation of SERT and NET. It produces a quicker relief of depression than most antidepressants, giving it an advantage over some other drugs."
Took just a few days for it to totally erase my out of control anxiety and my remaining sexual function.

However I'm looking for ways to upregulate SERT / restore its function.

This paper shows that BDNF may enhance SERT function:
http://www.neuropharmacologie.u-psud.fr ... 474368.pdf
It would be interesting to know how other neurotrophic factors modulate SERT.

I've read that Bacopa and Berberine can also upregulate/enhace SERT, however Bacopa was shown to increase overall 5-HT. Any reasons against Berberine?
Or any other ideas for SERT upregulation?
Meso

Re: How to upregulate SERT? Maybe BDNF?

Unread post by Meso »

- Alcohol upregulates SERT and MAO-A expression. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3764918/)

- Estradiol upregulates SERT as well, and together with DHT they can restore sexual function, but at significant risks (much increased risk of prostate and breast cancers, etc).

- Berberine is also fine, but keep in mind that it's 5-alpha reductase inhibitor (similar to Finasteride).

- Baclofen, which I have been trialing recently with success regarding certain symptoms, boosts BDnF and NGF. Certain cholinergics boost BDNF as well.

Most potent neurotrophic agents are the likes of Russian nootropics and neuropeptides: N-Acetyl Semax, P21 (nasal spray), PRL-8-53, and Coluracetam. NSI-189 could useful, but many people report tolerance.

Fasoracetam is interesting in its ability to upregulate GABA-B receptors.

Nogo-A inhibitors are in clinical trials right now for curing neurodegenerative diseases (i.e. ALS). Potent neurotrophic effect. Catalpol is an option.

Panax (Red Korean) Ginseng and Icariin also downregulate Nogo-A and boost NGF, but the effect is milder.
My blog "The Research Zone" is currently :roll: down.
You are welcome to join my Discord research server: Click Here
mrstaircase

Unread post by mrstaircase »

Forskolin has been shown to uprefulate SERT too.
taarn

Unread post by taarn »

Mesolimbo wrote:- Alcohol upregulates SERT and MAO-A expression. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3764918/)

- Estradiol upregulates SERT as well, and together with DHT they can restore sexual function, but at significant risks (much increased risk of prostate and breast cancers, etc).

- Berberine is also fine, but keep in mind that it's 5-alpha reductase inhibitor (similar to Finasteride).

- Baclofen, which I have been trialing recently with success regarding certain symptoms, boosts BDnF and NGF. Certain cholinergics boost BDNF as well.

Most potent neurotrophic agents are the likes of Russian nootropics and neuropeptides: N-Acetyl Semax, P21 (nasal spray), PRL-8-53, and Coluracetam. NSI-189 could useful, but many people report tolerance.

Fasoracetam is interesting in its ability to upregulate GABA-B receptors.

Nogo-A inhibitors are in clinical trials right now for curing neurodegenerative diseases (i.e. ALS). Potent neurotrophic effect. Catalpol is an option.

Panax (Red Korean) Ginseng and Icariin also downregulate Nogo-A and boost NGF, but the effect is milder.
Baclofen seems to be interesting drug, I'll do a more thorough research about it. Maybe I can also benefit of its use.
Russian nootropics and NSI-189 seems promising too. I was most intrigued by Cerebrolysin.
mrstaircase wrote:Forskolin has been shown to uprefulate SERT too.
Do you have a paper about this connection? I was somewhat aware that raising cAMP can increase SERT activity.
Meso

Unread post by Meso »

taarn wrote:Cerebrolysin
Skip that one. Most people who tried it said that it's weak. Also, frequent I.M. injections aren't very practical. N-acetyl-semax, P21 (nasal spray), and PRL-8-53 are the most promising ones, according to my friends who tried all of these.
My blog "The Research Zone" is currently :roll: down.
You are welcome to join my Discord research server: Click Here
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

We need to find a way to enhance sert function that's ultimately the way to get back to pre-pssd baseline. It's not a cure for depression, anxiety, or any other reason you took ssri to begin with but it beats living in this hell pssd state personally. With more awareness in the medical community hopefully they can develop a drug that specifically targets and promotes sert function
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

From what I've found MAPK/PKC/(cGMP)/PKG also have an affect on sert function