Psychotherapy

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
dib

Psychotherapy

Unread post by dib »

My doctor is convinced that PSSD is a psychological problem and suggests psychotherapy as a treatment. He says even blindness can be psychological, and that genital numbness (my main symptom) is part of disassociation. Has anyone tried psychotherapy for treating PSSD (not just coping)? What was the result? If you think PSSD is not a psychological problem, what would be your response to a person who thinks it is psychological?
Thomas

Re: Psychotherapy

Unread post by Thomas »

I would say trying a psychotherapy is a good way because:
1) it's harmless
2) it should improve symptoms if they are psychological (Symptoms of PSSD can be explained by psychological factors. No one can know for sure if they are or not for oneself)
3) you can benefit from it for other issues ;)
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Symptoms: sexual & emotional numbness
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

dib wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:45 am My doctor is convinced that PSSD is a psychological problem and suggests psychotherapy as a treatment. He says even blindness can be psychological, and that genital numbness (my main symptom) is part of disassociation. Has anyone tried psychotherapy for treating PSSD (not just coping)? What was the result? If you think PSSD is not a psychological problem, what would be your response to a person who thinks it is psychological?
Complaints of "numbness" over body parts, including genitals are reported since Freud's times, and that's what is studied at med/psych school, you can't blame him for that.

Going into an argument trying to saying your doctor "is wrong" is pretty much a waste of time and energy, and you will probably get mad without the help you need.

I would add that going into psychotherapy is way safer than trying to "knock receptors" by down/up-regulating neuro-bulshit-pathways taking a stack of nootropics/drugs/supplements.

If you go to CBT, it's much more than "talk therapy", but it will give you a lot of tools and behavioral protocols, then you can add healthy stuff to your routine.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)
sovietxrobot

Unread post by sovietxrobot »

Regardless of how you feel about it, you pretty much have to be in therapy for any doctor to treat PSSD. They will always try to push the problem onto a therapist.