Metergoline Restores 5-HT1A Sensitivity?

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
ErgogenicHealth

Metergoline Restores 5-HT1A Sensitivity?

Unread post by ErgogenicHealth »

Withdrawal from chronic treatment with metergoline, dl-propranolol and amitriptyline enhances serotonin receptor mediated behaviour in the rat

Acute treatment of rats with metergoline (2 mg/kg), a serotonin antagonist, prevented the behavioural syndrome produced by the serotonin agonist 5-methoxy-N',N'-dimethyltryptamine (2.5 mg/kg, 5MEODMT). dl-Propranolol (15 mg/kg) and amitriptyline (15 mg/kg) also inhibited the behavioural syndrome. The 5MEODMT behavioural syndrome was attenuated when metergoline or amitriptyline were administered daily for 14 days and 5MEODMT administered 30 min after the injection on day 14. This attenuation was not seen with chronic dl-propranolol treatment. When 5MEODMT was administered 72 h after the last injection of metergoline, amitriptyline or dl-propranolol on day 14, the behavioural syndrome was enhanced. The results suggest that withdrawal from chronic treatment with serotonin antagonists results in functional supersensitivity of serotoninergic neurones.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7200899/
finities infinities

Re: Metergoline Restores 5-HT1A Sensitivity?

Unread post by finities infinities »

This is probably 5ht2a and not 5ht1a. If it increases 5ht2a, it behaves similar to mianserin. I have very fond memories of metergoline, but for u it worked less like clomipramine after a long time of taking it. The acute dose of metergoline mimicked my chronic CMI intake. This 5ht2a antagonism is really strong, when I took it in February 2019, I started eating meat because I forgot my vegetharianism and empathetic morality disgust (5ht2). The combination of dopamine agonism and 5ht2 antagonism immediately removes all the symptoms that bother me and the world suddenly takes on meaning and magic, thinking about animals-eating-animals suddenly stop from metergoline. Metergoline seems to be better than mianserin which fast upregulate 5ht2 receptors (I noticed that each drug regulates receptors at different levels, metergoline didn't seem to upregulate 5ht2a for me, while chlorprothixene and mianserin did it immediately, similar to chlorprothixene and clomipramne - fast D2 upregulation, sulpiride and amisulpride upregulate D2 very slowly)
In this science clomipramine downregulate 5ht2a receptors and simulate acute metergoline effect. CMI is is quite a sensible drug. If you like the metergoline effect try clomipramine, it chronically produces a very similar ,,crying-nostalgia-romantic sadness with reduction of dysphoric morality empathy feeling like" state.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF00427959
Redx07664

Unread post by Redx07664 »

If serotonin is generally bad for erections, why should serotonin receptors matter at all?
MisterCharlie

Unread post by MisterCharlie »

So whats the verdict on metergoline here? @ErgogenicHealth
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

Redx07664 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:19 am If serotonin is generally bad for erections, why should serotonin receptors matter at all?
Serotonin isn't bad for erections it's essential when receptors are sensitive. The problem is we have excess serotonin in the synapse due to sert loss from ssri so receptors become desensitized. When serotonin doesn't bind and signal a response to the receptor then you get pssd symptoms. Think of pssd as being stuck in a withdrawal state where receptors don't normalize when stopping a drug. It's really that simple.
ytho

Unread post by ytho »

@ErgogenicHealth Did you try Metergoline? Anything to report? Thanks.
ErgogenicHealth

Unread post by ErgogenicHealth »

I have not tried it yet, due to fear of worsening/crashing.

I have it in the cupboard staring at me.