Has anyone actually tried 5HT1A antagonists?

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
Thomas

Re: Has anyone actually tried 5HT1A antagonists?

Unread post by Thomas »

Meso wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:59 pm Exactly - everything can crash you. So, I made this thread for people who crashed on Buspirone and for those who believe that 5HT1A autoreceptor desensitization could be a pathophysiological mechanism of PSSD. This thread is obviously not for bashing on Buspirone or saying it's a crash-inducing drug otherwise I'd have added it to the list I made about substances which are often linked to crashing.
IIRC you don't believe in 5HT1A autoreceptor desensitization theory, do you? Keeping open options is a good practice, all the more so as you don't "believe" in them. But, as I wrote here (viewtopic.php?p=39534#p39534) the "everything can crash you" theory should lead us to talk cautiously about "crashes" without at least some "backing-up". I don't say you didn't.
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Symptoms: sexual & emotional numbness
Meso

Unread post by Meso »

Thomas wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:15 am IIRC you don't believe in 5HT1A autoreceptor desensitization theory, do you? Keeping open options is a good practice, all the more so as you don't "believe" in them.
I used to have a stance against the 5HT1A desensitization theory in my older threads. But since then I've adopted a more neutral stance. Fact is, we know nothing about PSSD's pathophysiology without actual research so this is all speculation. Not many people understand the difference between a confirmed theory and a speculative hypothesis. That said, I also found a few papers showing that SERT is downregulated by SSRIs via an unknown mechanism, at least in the hippocampus. (i.e. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10575045/)
Thomas wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:15 amBut, as I wrote here (viewtopic.php?p=39534#p39534) the "everything can crash you" theory should lead us to talk cautiously about "crashes" without at least some "backing-up". I don't say you didn't.
That's correct. This is the main reason I had avoided writing up the crashing thread for the longest time before several people suggesting doing it anyway as it might be helpful.
"The Research Zone" is permanently down.
You are welcome to join my Discord research server: Click Here
Delfador

Unread post by Delfador »

It's not about what receptor or transporter is up/downregulated. It's about where. The preoptical area? The lateral thalamus? The raphe nuclei themselves? Etc

But everybody should still strive for a broad scope 5ht1a postsynaptic upregulation. Even though it is rarely the main issue in pssd.

To answer op, I have tried propranolol and cyproheptadine, both are non selective, and rather weak. No benefits whatsoever. But SJW, which supposedly upregulates 5ht1a postsyn helps me with libido (it might just be DA reuptake or beta adrenergic downregulation tho).

Ironically, caber which is a 5ht1a agonist does not crash me or worsen my symptoms upon cessation
ErgogenicHealth

Unread post by ErgogenicHealth »

Delfador wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:35 pm It's not about what receptor or transporter is up/downregulated. It's about where. The preoptical area? The lateral thalamus? The raphe nuclei themselves? Etc

But everybody should still strive for a broad scope 5ht1a postsynaptic upregulation. Even though it is rarely the main issue in pssd.

To answer op, I have tried propranolol and cyproheptadine, both are non selective, and rather weak. No benefits whatsoever. But SJW, which supposedly upregulates 5ht1a postsyn helps me with libido (it might just be DA reuptake or beta adrenergic downregulation tho).

Ironically, caber which is a 5ht1a agonist does not crash me or worsen my symptoms upon cessation

Exactly the same here.

SJW seems to revive my ability to feel orgasm, to about a 8/10.

I am trying to figure out WHY SJW does this... If it is post synaptic 1A receptor up-regulation, how else can we challenge this hypothesis? What else can we use to upregulate this?
ErgogenicHealth

Unread post by ErgogenicHealth »

All of these below can crash me:
Ginger
Cardamom
Zinc

What are they all doing to 5-HT1A receptor?

Cyproheptadine - Acutely BAD, then amazing snap back rebound 3-4 days after.

They all seem to interact with 1A receptor in some way.

ALCAR acutely accelerates libido, to then eventually CRASHHHH.

St John's wort - Takes 6-8 hours to "work" and only one brand works for me so far (Ze 117) LOW in hyperforin. Any SJW that is HIGH in Hyperforin simply makes me WORSE....

Has anyone ever had success with RHODIOLA? @meso did you ever try Rhodiola?
finities infinities

Unread post by finities infinities »

ALCAR appear to muscarinic agonist, because anticholinergic appear block pro-sexual effect from this.
Propranolol seems to have real potential. It is one of the few drugs (the others are alpha1 blockers, GABAA NAM and CB1 antagonist) that make me feel dysphoric and suicidal. Which proves that in high doses, the 5ht1a antagonist is actually noticeable. Only best taken with the alpha1 blocker, it seems to act as an indirect alpha1 agonist. Generally I gets alpha1 + 5ht2 indirect agonism from propranolol (from beta and 5ht1 antagonist). This has potential, because when withdrawn, it causes a real slight improvement. Now I took it again and added 5htp to it, it has intensified the dysphoric reaction, which confirms that the autoreceptor antagonist is palpable. I'm considering combining it with fentolamine.
The combination of:
huge dose propranolol + fentolamine + 5htp = both autoreceptor antagonist + 5ht enhancement + all adrenergic antagonist = 5ht2 downregulation + autoreceptor upregulation + adrenergic receptor upregulation (adrenaline inhibit serotonin related behavior) = maybe very good effect.