PSSD for 3 years, corticosteroids temporarily cured all PSSD symptoms

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
capitalCK

Re: PSSD for 3 years, corticosteroids temporarily cured all PSSD symptoms

Unread post by capitalCK »

Wouldn't Adrenal Cortex or Adrenal Glandular also provide corticosteroids?
rmichaelballow

Unread post by rmichaelballow »

Redx07664 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:27 pm Wondering what others think about this... have had PSSD (no erections, muted orgasm, numb penis, usual stuff) for 3 years after 6 months of 50mg Paxil CR. About a year ago, I happened to get a bad rash from poison oak and received an injection and pills of corticosteroids that reversed all the PSSD symptoms 100% for about a day. I've found some information about corticosteroids and apparently they regulate 5-HT1A receptor. What might I try if corticosteroids temporarily did something? Buspirone? For anyone wondering, the injection was dexamethasone and the orals were prednisone.
They likely lowered net Serotonin a bit, and partitioned binding evenly throughout 1A/2A/2C enough to disinhibit some dopaminergic/cholinergic firing, and allowed the NO/cholinergic/catecholaminergic signaling to run / bind uninhibited for a brief period. Corticosteroids act on neurotransmitters systems in (albeit short term) a regulatory way. Longer term, CS would inhibit HPA function, which would not be good.

PS: PSSD is much more complex than the mere 1A receptor.
Maxin

Unread post by Maxin »

Delfador wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:06 pm I think I figured this out.

It's because exogenous corticosteroids suppress hypothalamus production of ACTH. Which leads to a temporary calming of the adrenals, without activating the glucocorticoid receptors in the brain the way cirtisol does, thus limiting the overconversion of dopamine into neuradrenaline, and limitting the upregulstion of 5ht2c receptors (both mechanisms are mostly cortisol mediated,)

Your pssd is caused by an excess of cortisol, or an abnormal cortisol release curve that is flattened by taking a single punctual dose of prednisone
This^^^ you just explained so well. And why when I have done dexamethasone suppression tests in the past in a non suppressor. I have a sense that cortisone injections or large one time dosages of steroids suppress my acth abs give me temporary relief. Need to figure out why ssri cause some of us to not suppress
Redx07664

Unread post by Redx07664 »

Cooperr wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:59 am
Cooperr wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:13 am
Redx07664 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:41 pm

I masturbated and had an orgasm that was pre-pssd. Have you gone to therapy and talked about your issues with a therapist? I think it would really help you, as it has helped me.
Thanks again redox, you missed one important question.
:arrow: Did your penis size came back to 100% normal? Have you measured the **girth and length** to see it? (Glans shape/ engorging and all that..)

Also was pc muscles and penis itself as hard as pre-pssd? Any more details would be good to hear!
@Redx07664 man are you still here? Please hit me back.
Everything was back to normal! I didn't measure my girth or length, because I was confident it was back to normal!
Redx07664

Unread post by Redx07664 »

Found a new, young psychiatrist who hasn't been institutionalized by having to cram 10 patients in an hour. I'll send some of the comments in this thread for him to consider and see what he thinks.
Halan

Unread post by Halan »

My libido increased for one week when I got Covid-19 this year. In the forth day I started tongkat and it improved even more. Thinking about woman was enough to get an erection.
Then, after I got better from covid, my libido decreased and tongkat also stopped working.
I think there's an auto-immuned connection. My auto-immune problems started when my pssd began, years ago.

I'd like to see Meso opinions on this...
Also, there's a knwon connection between immunity and sex drive

https://www.practicalpainmanagement.com ... r-sex-life
"Studies going back to the 1960s reveal that rheumatic diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis, increase the risk of sexual dysfunction, with little insight into how to help those suffering, explained Furst."
Maxin

Unread post by Maxin »

So any of you guys in this thread have mid section weight gain? Do you know what Cushing’s is? It’s when a person gets a tumor on their adrenal or pituitary gland the secretes cortisol. They get a very distinct moon face, with big pot bellies. Limbs stay slim. Also bruising very easily and prediabetic. This is also the look that most people get while taking ssri’s. Myself very much so. My best friend, her husband. And in a matter of weeks to months.
I believe for some us we develop pseudo cushings. I may not be in such an extreme form as Simone with the tumor producing disease, but my symptoms match cushing’s more than any other condition. And it was definitely drug induced.
I have never been able to get rid of the belly from the ssri, even 15 years later. And when I started the Med I legit had a 12 pack.
Some people say that ssri’s dampen how system but his does not align with my experience nor my blood work while in them. And if they do dampen this system, then why does so many people look like they are on prednisone whilst on them and develop insulin issues?
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

Glucocorticoids have caught my attention because they are selective pla2 inhibitors. Pla2 and pkc activation are the mechanisms for 5ht1a agonist induced desensitization. Pla2 levels increase in reaction to oxidative stress and inflammation. There is probably oxidative stress/inflammation associated with pssd like other nuerological disorders. Arachidonic acid is released from pla2 activation as an inflammatory response. Arachidonic acid can reduce sert function. I'm trying to connect the dots. I'm a big believer in the sert/5ht1a desensitization theory so I look at things through that perspective. Has anyone else recently tried glucocorticoids and have noticed any symptom relief? Before I ever had pssd I took glucocorticoids to treat pluercy and they made me feel so angry.
CN9

Unread post by CN9 »

Maxin wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:19 pm So any of you guys in this thread have mid section weight gain? Do you know what Cushing’s is? It’s when a person gets a tumor on their adrenal or pituitary gland the secretes cortisol. They get a very distinct moon face, with big pot bellies. Limbs stay slim. Also bruising very easily and prediabetic. This is also the look that most people get while taking ssri’s. Myself very much so. My best friend, her husband. And in a matter of weeks to months.
I believe for some us we develop pseudo cushings. I may not be in such an extreme form as Simone with the tumor producing disease, but my symptoms match cushing’s more than any other condition. And it was definitely drug induced.
I have never been able to get rid of the belly from the ssri, even 15 years later. And when I started the Med I legit had a 12 pack.
Some people say that ssri’s dampen how system but his does not align with my experience nor my blood work while in them. And if they do dampen this system, then why does so many people look like they are on prednisone whilst on them and develop insulin issues?
I made similar experiences and Support this theory!

Which med did you take?
Maxin

Unread post by Maxin »

CN9 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:53 pm
Maxin wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:19 pm So any of you guys in this thread have mid section weight gain? Do you know what Cushing’s is? It’s when a person gets a tumor on their adrenal or pituitary gland the secretes cortisol. They get a very distinct moon face, with big pot bellies. Limbs stay slim. Also bruising very easily and prediabetic. This is also the look that most people get while taking ssri’s. Myself very much so. My best friend, her husband. And in a matter of weeks to months.
I made similar experiences and Support this theory!

Which med did you take?
Lexapro. You?