Libido and EQ returns when falling asleep

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
fellow1

Libido and EQ returns when falling asleep

Unread post by fellow1 »

Just wonder if anyone have any knowledge and ideas , what happens in our body when we about to fall asleep? I can get hard from fantasies at night when I am about to enter the phase of falling asleep. I mean I have proper lust and visual libido and don't need any mechanical stimulation to get hard at night , whilst during the day it's a flatline close to zero. Feels like at night libido is being unblocked due to some hormonal or other changes? Serotonin ? NMDA ? Dopamine?
arahant

Re: Libido and EQ returns when falling asleep

Unread post by arahant »

fellow1 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:57 am Just wonder if anyone have any knowledge and ideas , what happens in our body when we about to fall asleep? I can get hard from fantasies at night when I am about to enter the phase of falling asleep. I mean I have proper lust and visual libido and don't need any mechanical stimulation to get hard at night , whilst during the day it's a flatline close to zero. Feels like at night libido is being unblocked due to some hormonal or other changes? Serotonin ? NMDA ? Dopamine?
Entering the phase of falling asleep is by definition a quite relaxed state, mostly modulated parasympathetic nervous system.
There are some techniques for inducing this state without falling asleep. Like progressive muscular relaxation, diaphragmatic breathing, etc...
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)
Delfador

Unread post by Delfador »

arahant wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:04 pm Entering the phase of falling asleep is by definition a quite relaxed state, mostly modulated parasympathetic nervous system.
There are some techniques for inducing this state without falling asleep. Like progressive muscular relaxation, diaphragmatic breathing, etc...
Well... I don't see how to practically do this diaphragmatic breathing exercise when im asked to get hard in a hurry...

And to answer you OP, it's because close to your sleep time, you are most likely to be sleep deprived. And sleep deprivation is known to increase dopamine firing.

I know exactly what you're experiencing and I'm trying to understand it too.
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

Delfador wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:55 pm
arahant wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:04 pm Entering the phase of falling asleep is by definition a quite relaxed state, mostly modulated parasympathetic nervous system.
Well... I don't see how to practically do this diaphragmatic breathing exercise when im asked to get hard in a hurry...

And to answer you OP, it's because close to your sleep time, you are most likely to be sleep deprived. And sleep deprivation is known to increase dopamine firing.

I know exactly what you're experiencing and I'm trying to understand it too.
Haha... getting asked to get hard in a hurry is like having a gun pointed to it and scream. "Go go go!" :shock:

But you said something that I noticed too, mild sleep deprivation also seems to fuel a bit of anxiety. Maybe not by coincidence my sex drive was higher during periods of sleeping 5-6 hours a day. I think missing 30 - 60 min of sleep a day can do something...Regarding dopamine firing, severe sleep deprivation for many days is known in triggering both temporary or permanent psychosis, which is correlated with some weird dopamine function.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Delfador

Unread post by Delfador »

It is known that refusing to sleep for a night or two, triggers manic episodes in susceptible people, and mania is a form of psychosis so I guess it does that for psychosis in general.

And I stumbled across a study weeks ago which stated that sleep deprivation causes significant rise in dopamine firing in rats.
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

Delfador wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:34 pm It is known that refusing to sleep for a night or two, triggers manic episodes in susceptible people, and mania is a form of psychosis so I guess it does that for psychosis in general.

And I stumbled across a study weeks ago which stated that sleep deprivation causes significant rise in dopamine firing in rats.
I think I have seen the same rat study about "supersensitivity of post-synaptic dopamine receptors " cited in this systematic review of studies in humans.
Severe Sleep Deprivation Causes Hallucinations and a Gradual Progression Toward Psychosis With Increasing Time Awake
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6048360/
I wonder if mild sleep deprivation, leeping one less hour a day would do, maybe not psychosis, but some "drug-free" dopamine response.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Yell0wB3lly

Unread post by Yell0wB3lly »

This has been a permanent symptom of my PSSD. When falling asleep I can get really horny through fantasies, much more than I can when awake during the day. Also I frequently wake up in the middle of the night (most commonly shortly after falling asleep) feeling as horny as I was pre-PSSD, which never happens while I am awake during normal hours. Has anyone else experienced this?
Ch21

Unread post by Ch21 »

For me, the libido also comes back when I lie awake until late at night. I couldn't sleep that night and stayed awake until 3 a.m. I noticed how I got more and more feeling down there. Erection and orgasm were then very pleasurable. Unfortunately this effect is gone again this morning. I could imagine that it has something to do with more dopamine that the body produces. Perhaps it is also due to the low cortisol level at night.
kpavel

Unread post by kpavel »

fellow1 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:57 am Just wonder if anyone have any knowledge and ideas , what happens in our body when we about to fall asleep? I can get hard from fantasies at night when I am about to enter the phase of falling asleep. I mean I have proper lust and visual libido and don't need any mechanical stimulation to get hard at night , whilst during the day it's a flatline close to zero. Feels like at night libido is being unblocked due to some hormonal or other changes? Serotonin ? NMDA ? Dopamine?
I published a study review on GNIH last year. It is dependent on temperature, corticosterone, etc and light. I thought maybe it's clock genes like PER2. By the way if you have an infrared ~940nm light, a study says there's a connection with desire. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30221776/ (just a quick search)

Effects of transcranial photobiomodulation with near-infrared light on sexual dysfunction
Objectives: Transcranial photobiomodulation (t-PBM) consists of the delivery of near-infrared (NIR) or red light to the scalp designed to penetrate to subjacent cortical areas of the brain. NIR t-PBM has recently emerged as a potential therapy for brain disorders. This study assessed the efficacy of repeated sessions of NIR t-PBM on sexual dysfunction.
Methods: We performed a secondary analysis of a double-blind clinical trial on t-PBM for major depressive disorder (MDD). Twenty individuals received NIR t-PBM (n = 9) or sham therapy (n = 11) twice a week for 8 weeks. Sexual desire, arousal, and orgasm were assessed using the Systematic Assessment for Treatment-Emergent Effects-Specific Inquiry (SAFTEE-SI).
Results: The mean improvement in sexual function (decrease in SAFTEE sex total score) in subjects receiving t-PBM in NIR-mode was significantly greater than in subjects receiving sham-mode in the whole sample (NIR [n = 9] -2.55 ± 1.88 vs. sham [n = 11] -0.45 ± 1.21; z = 2.548, P = 0.011]) and in the completers (NIR [n = 5] -3.4 ± 1.95 vs. sham [n = 7] -0.14 ± 1.21; z = 2.576, P = 0.010]).
Conclusion: This exploratory study with a small sample size indicates that repeated sessions of NIR t-PBM may be associated with therapeutic effects on sexual dysfunction. The latter appeared unrelated to the antidepressant effect of t-PBM in our cohort. Lasers Surg. Med. 51:127-135, 2019. © 2018 Wiley Periodicals, Inc