Buspirone Experience

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
climb

Buspirone Experience

Unread post by climb »

Hi all,

I started buspirone about 3.5 weeks ago.
I had not planned to post about my experience until I'd been taking it for a for a couple of months so as to give it a fair go but have had some worrying developments in the last few days, so could do with some input from forum members who have either tried buspirone or who've had similar experiences trialing other things.

Here's what I've done so far:

1 week of 5 mg
1 week of 10 mg
- had morning wood a couple of times and some brief, very slight moments of libido, so was encouraged by this.

1.5 weeks of 15 mg
- no more morning wood
- In the last 3-4 days I have noticed worsened ability to get an erection and now for the last 2 days - numbed sensation in genitals and surrounding area. Also, in the last 2 days numbed orgasm.
Initially, I was prepared to put the erection thing down to normal bodily fluctuations but now I'm certain this isn't the case.

I appreciate that you have to give a drug time to work and that buspirone probably requires 30 plus mg to be beneficial for those it has helped. However, obviously, alarm bells are going off at these recent developments.
This is a somewhat similar pattern of effect to what I experienced when taking inositol, which resulted in a really bad crash, so I'm considering discontinuing.

If anyone with buspirone experience or experience with getting these kinds of unwanted developments when trying to recover is able to chip in, that'd be appreciated.

Cheers.

Climb
arahant

Re: Buspirone Experience

Unread post by arahant »

Are you fapping on daily basis to create your log?
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)
climb

Unread post by climb »

No, I'm not.
I don't think it's necessary to do that to determine whether there's been a change in your body.
However, I obviously have to do it sometimes to keep track of what's happening.
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

climb wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:00 am No, I'm not.
I don't think it's necessary to do that to determine whether there's been a change in your body.
However, I obviously have to do it sometimes to keep track of what's happening.
That's my point, doing something for "keeping track, checking what's happening, or if there's some hypothetical down up regulation of receptors", instead of doing it for fun. :D
Obviously doing it everyday can be even worse. I did it during my tapering and it was not good, and it was fixed by a bit of rest and abstinence. ;)
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
climb

Unread post by climb »

Haha, I take your point, mate. I understand what you mean.

But generally speaking, I have no libido and I've got anhedonia, so I'm not sure if I would realistically do it for fun.

Plus I've had PSSD for a long time, so I am familiar with what natural fluctuations in my body are like and how things function. I'm pretty sure that this is the impact of the drug.

If that's the case. The point then becomes whether this is a temporary change some people have to go through to improve (because that's the case with some drugs for some people), or whether it's a warning sign that buspirone might not be a good fit for my pssd.
Markc1113

Unread post by Markc1113 »

I’m tapering buspirone currently. I had some times where I was worse on it with erection quality and numbness. Mine didn’t happen until about three months on it. It’s improved during my slow taper. I think it does help some but just like anything else I think it can make others worse. I wouldn’t panic, it will probably go back to baseline if just not fluctuate your dose a lot for a while.
climb

Unread post by climb »

Markc1113 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:24 pm I’m tapering buspirone currently. I had some times where I was worse on it with erection quality and numbness. Mine didn’t happen until about three months on it. It’s improved during my slow taper. I think it does help some but just like anything else I think it can make others worse. I wouldn’t panic, it will probably go back to baseline if just not fluctuate your dose a lot for a while.
Thanks for the reply mate.

So when you got the worsened ED and numbness is that what convinced you to taper off rather than pursue it further or continue increasing the dose?

What was the highest dose you took?

Did your worsened ED and numbness ease off without reducing the dose?

I was considering going back to 10 mg for a few days to see if it helps.
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

climb wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:28 am Haha, I take your point, mate. I understand what you mean.

But generally speaking, I have no libido and I've got anhedonia, so I'm not sure if I would realistically do it for fun.

Plus I've had PSSD for a long time, so I am familiar with what natural fluctuations in my body are like and how things function. I'm pretty sure that this is the impact of the drug.

If that's the case. The point then becomes whether this is a temporary change some people have to go through to improve (because that's the case with some drugs for some people), or whether it's a warning sign that buspirone might not be a good fit for my pssd.
We could agree that relaxation is needed for having pleasure and, doing something "to check if it's functioning" is not an optimal state, to begin with.

Well, if you are sure that's the impact of the drug, similar you had inositol, and you are correlating the same symptom on both as a warning sign, even if both have completely different functions.
There's not much to discuss, you might have been looking for someone to confirm your worries. To be honest, you can find crash claims from anything and everywhere on the internet.

I have some setbacks while increasing my dosage once, I guess I put o my log, It was some OCD and Claustrophobia feelings... I reduced it for a month and forgot about it...then I increased it later.
But I agree, given that terrible stuff happened in the past, the common reaction is being over precautious next time...
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Markc1113

Unread post by Markc1113 »

climb wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:16 pm
Markc1113 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:24 pm I’m tapering buspirone currently. I had some times where I was worse on it with erection quality and numbness. Mine didn’t happen until about three months on it. It’s improved during my slow taper. I think it does help some but just like anything else I think it can make others worse. I wouldn’t panic, it will probably go back to baseline if just not fluctuate your dose a lot for a while.
Thanks for the reply mate.

So when you got the worsened ED and numbness is that what convinced you to taper off rather than pursue it further or continue increasing the dose?

What was the highest dose you took?

Did your worsened ED and numbness ease off without reducing the dose?

I was considering going back to 10 mg for a few days to see if it helps.
Yes the change in erections and sensation and the fact that I was on it for probably five months total without the positive improvement I was looking for factored in to me tapering. I’ve been as low as 10 mg a day and as high as 30mg a day. It has gotten better as I taper off
tonyareias

Unread post by tonyareias »

I think this med can works when taken when need (e.g. 1h before sex) and not daily.