How to get my life back without getting PSSD

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
bolor

How to get my life back without getting PSSD

Unread post by bolor »

I used Venlafaxine during 13 years, and during that time I always suffered from genital anaesthesia and delayed orgams. It also caused me agitation, mania, insomnia and delayed peeing.

But at least I had some energy, and some willingness to live.

Now I've been without it for about 5 months, and everything feels so gray. I always feel fatigued and I have not desired to do anything at all. Smiling is something that pretty much never happens to me.

Are there any meds or supplements that are not so harmful that could help me with it?
Jaxx

Re: How to get my life back without getting PSSD

Unread post by Jaxx »

From your story it isnt clear to me if you have pssd or just issues with depression? (Which increased after quitting the medication)
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

bolor wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:59 pm I used Venlafaxine during 13 years, and during that time I always suffered from genital anaesthesia and delayed orgams. It also caused me agitation, mania, insomnia and delayed peeing.

Now I've been without it for about 5 months, and everything feels so gray. I always feel fatigued and I have not desired to do anything at all. Smiling is something that pretty much never happens to me.

Are there any meds or supplements that are not so harmful that could help me with it?
You can go back to your doctor and ask for something with minimal sexual side effects.

Mania on SNRI/SSRIs can be a warning sign of bipolar disorder, It is worth getting evaluated by another psychiatrist, maybe a mood stabilizer is an option.

We just share personal experiences or studies about drugs and supplements, no medical advice... if you are having severe symptoms, it's better to get a comprehensive evaluation by a psychiatrist.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)
bolor

Unread post by bolor »

Jaxx wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:03 pm From your story it isnt clear to me if you have pssd or just issues with depression? (Which increased after quitting the medication)
I don't think I have PSSD. I only have the sexual disorders when I'm using the SSRI.
The problem is that my chronic pain and depression increased a lot after quitting it.
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

There are antidepressants with less sexual side effects or even combinations to counter the side effects are possible. Pssd is rare but there is a risk, you could consider maoi’s but that is something to discuss with a psychiatrist (gp’s are generally not informed enough)
JP1985

Unread post by JP1985 »

bolor wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:59 pm I used Venlafaxine during 13 years, and during that time I always suffered from genital anaesthesia and delayed orgams. It also caused me agitation, mania, insomnia and delayed peeing.

Hello. If you’re really down and don’t have PSSD since stopping then I’d say try something else like the guys suggested above.

Ps Even when I’ve had little windows of feeling good sexually.. it doesn’t mean as much as feeling good in my head! Being happy in yourself is more important. You’ve got to try find a balance! If you want to go down the herbal route then St Johns Wort might be worth a try for you seeing as you don’t have PSSD. Also if you don’t already, then start exercising, I know it’s hard if you’re really tired but you could start slow.. this lifts 99% of people mood! Good luck
Last pill March 2019 - Citalopram for 7 years
Numbed penis and weak orgasm
Fatigue
Slightly blunted
Dizziness (this has improved a lot in the last 6 months)
climb

Unread post by climb »

When you quit an SSRI or other drug, it takes time for your brain and body to adjust.
Don't underestimate the power of amending your diet, behaviour, thought processes using tools like CBT.
It takes time and a lot of effort to do this but it is worth it.
I know that some people are more prone to severe depression than others. There have been times when I could not see how I could manage anxiety and depression without an antidepressant. However, I now realise that this was incorrect (in my case) and was in fact more likely the result of having actually taken antidepressants. They numb normal human emotions, so when you're confronted with intense anxiety and stress when not taking them anymore, it's a shock to the system and takes some getting used to.

I now have strategies to stamp out negative patterns of thought and behaviours that foster depressive moods.
I'd encourage anyone to try to change their lifestyle first and only take any drug or supplement as a last resort.
Like any new skill or practice, it takes time to adjust to and implement.