How many have tried to reinstate their ssri?

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
Markc1113

Re: How many have tried to reinstate their ssri?

Unread post by Markc1113 »

Yeah it’s a scary thing but makes sense if you were good on it that it might return things to normal?
Vercingétorix

Unread post by Vercingétorix »

Markc1113 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:29 am So I have been on buspirone a couple of months now and the only real change so far is slightly better mood and now I have PE on top of all my other issues. I’m going to give buspirone a little more time but the longer that goes by the more I can’t help but think this isn’t fixing anything. I’m considering after this trying to get back on the Viibryd even though it’s what caused all of this. I didn’t really have any issues while taking it. All of my issues came from not tapering when stopping and just quitting cold turkey. To me it makes sense that maybe taking it again will put neurotransmitter levels back to where maybe I function again properly and if it’s partly a withdrawal even enough it’s been a year and a half maybe resolve it? I know it’s a risk but at this point what else do I do? The buspirone isn’t helping, trt didn’t help long term, neither did hcg. Got some relief of most symptoms with bupropion but made me have severe PE so stopped it.
My case is similar to yours, my sexual problems started when I lowered abruptely citalopram from 60mg to 20 mg. It gave me erectile dysfunction and numb glans. After 2 years I went back to 60 mg, the numbness disapeared and the erection was improved. The improvement in erection lasted only 2 or 3 months, but my genital numbness is still cured today. Since then I 've gone back to a lower dose extremely slowy (10 % monthly) without bad effects on my sexual function. Today my remaining symptom is erectil dysfunction.

So maybe you can try to do what I did : reinstate the AD for a few months and then tappering it extremely slowly. It might improve your sexual function. I advice you to wait a few months before reinstating, to see the full results of buspirone.
Markc1113

Thanks for the feedback on that. That’s good to know it atleast helped you. Who knows if it would work the same for me since it’s been completely out of my system for 15 months but it could be something that works. If it would return libido and get rid of numbness that would be huge.
rmichaelballow

Unread post by rmichaelballow »

Markc1113 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:26 pm
rmichaelballow wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:37 am You’re onto something. Reinstatement won’t replete serotonin signaling and binding, nor repair other chemistry issues (deranged SERT, Downregulated Serotonin projection, etc), but it should help one’s thinking in solving the puzzle. Serotonin itself is not the enemy. Deranged signaling of Serotonin, is.
So are you saying it could help with my sexual dysfunction? I just figure one that with me getting PE now on buspirone my seretonin should be lower. If I got back on the viibryd since I was functioning on it. Should that go back? I’m one of the few that didn’t have issues while taking it only when stopping.
Technically: it could help.

Also technically: it will land you in the same boat as far as PSSD goes, eventually. Maybe worse this time around. What I was saying is.. the reason this helps people, is more synaptically available Serotonin, and a bit more receptor binding therefore, which leads receptors to execute their downstream responsibilities (albeit, for a brief period). Post SSRI state is (not exclusively - but a major part) is Serotonin pool depletion (proper transporter function is necessary for generally pool quantity and Serotonin homeostasis), lack of proper Serotonin UPTAKE, and deranged Serotonin binding. In Recovery, you have to train Serotonin to function correctly again, particularly in partitioning it to actually bind to 1A, 2C, 5ht4, and others, but importantly not to accumulate extracellularly. Eventually... reinstatement will derange binding.. again. But initially seem like it's helping.

That is my position, anyway. I'm not a fan of the auto-receptor theory. PSSD is far more complex than that, and has led people in the wrong direction.
Markc1113

So in what your theory is, would this tie into making sense? When I take bupropion I don’t have any positive results atleast short term(I took it 3-4 weeks), but if I take it for a bit and then start to taper to every other day, the rebound days everything is fixed. Even when I tapered to a complete stop I was fixed for a month after stopping. I tried again about six months later and took one dose. I was worried it was going to make me worse so didn’t take a second dose. Two days later I was better for a full day. So does that make sense in any way with your theory? Secondly, I’m six weeks in on buspirone, any chance that helps with the problems you think we have? I’ve had someone mention something about dopamine signaling being an issue so I had been trying buspirone to see if it increased dopamine to help. Especially since bupropion does something to me.
clong4324

Unread post by clong4324 »

I believe for the question of re-instating SSSRI, and other issues such as introducing Wellbutrin, my story is quite compelling. I'm a long-standing follower of forum, presenting a case from as far back as 1998-2002, but only now posting. I'm also an attorney (went to law school specifically to sue over this issue, but, unfortunately, now practice labor law). I've read pretty close to what I believe to be every relevant study published on SSRIs including those requiring payment.

Quick synopses, detailed more below: Age 17/nearly 18, PSSD after 6 weeks prozac; stopped cold-turkey no improvement. 6 months later started zoloft, complete reversal of all effects and 100% normal for 2.5 years. Quit zoloft, yet retained normal sexual function; resumed and quit zoloft again, also retaining normal sexual function. Took Wellbutrin 2 months after quitting zoloft, and within weeks, or a month, experienced the very same overnight, light switch-like death of all sexual functioning, including "retracted" genitals, as though pre-pubescent. This persisted since 2002, with gradual improvement. Only since about 2015, thanks to this Forum and my own research/experimentation, have I resumed a modicum of normal (still have long refractory periods but can operate at 80%, period windows of 100% which definitely coincide with 1-3 weeks of no-fap. Also alcohol, adderrall, shilajit, inositol/choline, micro-dosing psylocibin, all bring market improvement.

-April 1998, 17 years old: 20mg (I think--whatever is entry level dose) Prozac for "OCD", within 6 weeks, light switch-like overnight death of all sexual function, shrunken/retreated gonads, diminished feeling. Could still force orgasm, desire remained normal. Tested for Testosterone etc, all showed normal. Of course, all docs said "its all psychological."
-Quit cold-turkey after 6 weeks; no improvement.
-Approximately 5-6 months later, August/September 1998, took entry-level dose zoloft, I believe 50mg maybe 100mg. Somewhere within that time, Fall 1998, soon after Zoloft, resumed 100% normal sexual functioning, performance, semen, drive, everything. Had a girlfriend, etc.
--Dose raised to 150mg approximately 1 year later
--In total 2.5 years of total normal sexual functioning. College years, filled with hookups.
--Experienced emotional blunting, leading to heavy alcohol/pot use to cancel those effects; no adverse impact on sexual function.
--Fall 2000, gradually weened off Zoloft inadvertently, i.e. because I was studying abroad, life was so grand I didn't even think of taking it, so sporadic intake every few days.
--Spring 2001, 4 months no zoloft at all--sexual function CONTINUED NORMALLY.
--Summer 2001 resumed 100mg zoloft due to symptoms that, I now realize, were nothing more than the result of withdrawing from zoloft in the first place--something I'm sure we're all familiar with, and being told, despite the first time experiencing any such symptoms, "it's only your 'disease' returning."
-Fall 2001, realizing that meds only made me 10x worse, quit zoloft cold-turkey, causing the blackest, immobilizing depression, indescribable in words (again something experienced only post-meds). Sexual function STILL normal throughout.
-Depression so debilitating that in order to complete senior year of college, went to a different psy-doc who, roughly two months after cold-turkey cessation of zoloft, prescribed Wellbutrin.
--Within weeks of taking Wellbutrin, similar effects as Fall of 1998 when started Prozac--literal overnight genital "retraction" like pre-pubesecent, this time with scaly skin and disturbingly-visible veins, all overnight.
--PSSD every since, but with windows of improvement, and, since about 2015, averaging about 80% function--have dated many women, had my share of good sex, but still very present and unpredictable.
--since 2002, extremely problematic semen--watery, sometimes with weird translucent chunks, sort of grey in color. Periodically though, coinciding with windows of normal function and sensation, near-normal semen, still watery but much thicker, very white etc; very wide disparity on this front.
--And definitely have had the "anhedonia/emotionless/depersonalized zombie state" ever since 2002, whereas before I was a larger-than-life artist, emotive, the life of parties, etc etc. People used to turn to ME when THEY were depressed, something that now just makes me laugh as I put one foot in the front of the other to survive each day of this living hell-on-earth going on 20 years.

Thanks for reading, hope this helps the conversation.
Markc1113

Sorry man. I understand how you feel, atleast a piece of how you feel as I don’t know how hard it is to carry on for that long. I hope you continue to improve though and hopefully you get further relief.oddly enough wellebutrin has given me some solid windows of improvement. I just wish I knew what the answer was. I may guess wrong on what will help and get worse.. I hope I guess right though at some point and fix all this.
Joao Paulo Brasil

Unread post by Joao Paulo Brasil »

I restored it, my libido started to return on the third day of escilatopram 10 mg, but then it disappeared again. I am now trying 5mg a day but no effect at the moment.
Escitalopram and venlafaxine (7 months)
With PSSD FOR MORE THAN 3 YEARS.
Markc1113

Keep us updated if you get continued success. So did you go back to your baseline?
Joao Paulo Brasil

Unread post by Joao Paulo Brasil »

I took escilatopram, on the third day my libido appeared, and then it was gone. I took it for 30 days.
Escitalopram and venlafaxine (7 months)
With PSSD FOR MORE THAN 3 YEARS.