Negativity

Administrative notes and announcements.
Ghost

Negativity

Unread post by Ghost »

I'm sick of it. I'll be editing the forum rules to reflect this.

I know that PSSD is hard. I know that PSSD is the worst thing that many people have to deal with in their lives.
There is a fine line between a support community, and a community of perpetual expression of how devastating PSSD is.

For example, at school there are two types of study groups that form:

The first type gets together to prepare for an exam, but spends an increasingly large chuck of the time on how confusing the material is, how hard the professor makes the exams, how shitty it is to be a member of the class, and how their grades are going to be destroyed by this one professor and their tests.

The second type comes in and addresses the concerns that they have over the material, teaching methods, and previous tests, and then prepares to study collaboratively to address these lapses in their knowledge.

The second type of group always does better when the exam rolls around, and they spend more time enjoying life.

A successful paralympic runner doesn't wonder how much faster he could be with legs, he wonders how fast he can be without them.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
Juvo

Re: Negativity

Unread post by Juvo »

Agreed. I get that people need to vent sometimes, and pssd isn't really understood by others without pssd, so it's understood why it happens. I'm the same way. To everyone reading this, you aren't alone, even though it feels like it.

What's frustrating is when it bleeds into each and every thread. We have separate threads for a reason and the content within the thread should reflect what the thread starter opened with. It becomes increasingly difficult to follow threads when they are hijacked and diverted towards negativity.
Kinncrimson

Unread post by Kinncrimson »

Ghost wrote:I'm sick of it. I'll be editing the forum rules to reflect this.

I know that PSSD is hard. I know that PSSD is the worst thing that many people have to deal with in their lives.
There is a fine line between a support community, and a community of perpetual expression of how devastating PSSD is.

The first type gets together to prepare for an exam, but spends an increasingly large chuck of the time on how confusing the material is, how hard the professor makes the exams, how shitty it is to be a member of the class, and how their grades are going to be destroyed by this one professor and their tests.

The second type comes in and addresses the concerns that they have over the material, teaching methods, and previous tests, and then prepares to study collaboratively to address these lapses in their knowledge.

The second type of group always does better when the exam rolls around, and they spend more time enjoying life.

A successful paralympic runner doesn't wonder how much faster he could be with legs, he wonders how fast he can be without them.
I really hope you are not trying to say get used to PSSD and accept it, sort of learn to walk with one leg. Acceptance would lead to resignation in finding a cure.
Juvo

Unread post by Juvo »

Kinncrimson wrote:
Ghost wrote:I'm sick of it. I'll be editing the forum rules to reflect this.

I really hope you are not trying to say get used to PSSD and accept it, sort of learn to walk with one leg. Acceptance would lead to resignation in finding a cure.
I think he means accept that something happened to us we can't go back and prevent + focus on moving forward.

There's basically 2 choices.

1 - we sit back and perpetuate the anger and despair over what has happened and how devastating it is.

2 - we recognize it and work towards trying to overcome it through experimentation, studying, and positivity.

Only one of these options helps us.
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

^exactly
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)