Gut microbiota theory and the cure

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
Psychological-Safe15

Re: Gut microbiota theory and the cure

Unread post by Psychological-Safe15 »

exactly I thought same. PE is associated with less serotonin and delayed ejaculation associated with too much serotonin. low libido associated with too much serotonin/
But some people get PE and low libido at same time. how can they get too low and high at same time >>
Weez

Unread post by Weez »

Hi All,

Yes, I too believe PSSD has something to do with gut bacteria. I started going to a Functional Medicine clinic and they gave me four supplements to treat my gut. I was not going for my PSSD but honestly, I felt some stimulation down there that I had not felt in a long time. If I continue to see progress, I will let you guys know what the four supplements are. So, yeah I totally think PSSD is a gut bacteria issue.
ryjoseph97

Unread post by ryjoseph97 »

So does the gut get messed up from the initial instatement of SSRIs or from the discontinuation of them? I remember having diarrhea the very first time I tried citalopram. But now, if I take citalopram, I have no GI side effects.
fth

Unread post by fth »

This is very interesting information! I'll make an appointment with my GP asap to see if I can get tested. The only issue for me is the fodmap diet. I most likely (am in the process of getting a diagnosis) have arfid so I tend to eat very selectively so that'll be a big hurdle to overcome :(

I'm also wondering if the fatigue from SIBO can get worse over time if left untreated. I had a concussion in February 2021 and a month after I started getting severe fatigue which hasn't subsided up until now. I always contributed the fatigue to post-concussion symptoms but now I wonder if it could be SIBO that worsened and that the timing led me to believe it was the concussion. Fun fact: SIBO and IBS can be caused by a concussion according to some articles.

EDIT: I have an appointment with my GP on the 30th of December to discuss this issue. I'll keep you guys updated! Man y'all have really gotten my hopes up lmao, I hope this'll be the answer for many of us.

EDIT 2: My GP said I'd have to contact a specialized institution where they can test me for SIBO, as they don't do this in the local hospitals where I live. I have an online appointment planned with them on the 11th of January. Sadly my insurance doesn't cover their treatment (neither does any insurance in my country) so I hope it won't be too expensive.
Last edited by fth on Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
► Fluoxetine & methylphenidate (03/2016 - 07/2019)
► Symptoms started somewhere in 2018
► Social phobia (formerly), OCD, ADHD
► Dexamphetamine (06/2021 - now)
🇳🇱
fth

Unread post by fth »

ryjoseph97 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:56 pm So does the gut get messed up from the initial instatement of SSRIs or from the discontinuation of them? I remember having diarrhea the very first time I tried citalopram. But now, if I take citalopram, I have no GI side effects.
In the reddit post it said you can have 'silent' SIBO where you don't have symptoms like diarrhea or bloating, but still have symptoms like fatigue and sexual dysfunction. It doesn't answer your question about it being caused by the initial instatement or the discontinuation, but I think it could be an answer as to why you don't/no longer experience gastrointestinal effects.

EDIT: Since you did have diarrhea when you started taking if, if could be an indication of the gut being disturbed from initial instatement but that's just my guess since I don't have the science to back it up. I honestly don't remember if I ever experienced anything like that when I started taking fluoxetine because it's almost 6 years ago for me.
Last edited by fth on Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
► Fluoxetine & methylphenidate (03/2016 - 07/2019)
► Symptoms started somewhere in 2018
► Social phobia (formerly), OCD, ADHD
► Dexamphetamine (06/2021 - now)
🇳🇱