What Is your blood sugar like? A possible cause of PSSD...(edited)

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
angeloinvolo

What Is your blood sugar like? A possible cause of PSSD...(edited)

Unread post by angeloinvolo »

Hello,
I've recently measured my blood sugar and it's not over the pathological limits but on a border line level.

I've tested it only at the beginning of the withdrawal (4 years ago) and now and it's quite the same number.

These days I am searching online scientific articles that explaine the link between prediabetes and sexual impairment and also between the use of ssri and diabetes (type2).

What do you think about the idea that PSSD can be very similar to prediabetes symptoms and than It could be a syndrome that is caused in a large part by high blood sugar (obviously caused by ssri)?
Don't take candy from strangers

escitalopram drops 20 mg from 28 august - 6 september 2017
2 drops the first day increasing gradually until 6 the last day (cold turkey)
Troskie

Re: What Is your blood sugar like? A possible cause of PSSD...(edited)

Unread post by Troskie »

Ive been playing with carnivore (keto) diet this year. At least for me, there hasnt been much benefits apart from weight loss.

Actually, i probably have felt worse in general on this diet. Just not as sharp at work, and this year feels largely like a blur (maybe partly wfh and pandemic...)

I sort of cheated a bit last week, im going to give it one final go for 30 days, just eggs bacon and ribeye. I did just ribeye during march this year, without feeling amazing, so im not super hopeful and sort of question why im still torturing myself. I sort of wanna try no dairy for a while and maybe thatll do something, on carnivore i was eating a good amount of it.

Also considering, if that doesnt work, trying vegan for 30 days next. Worse case if i get no improvement on any of these at least ill know for myself its one less thing to consider. Im trying to improve pssd, but also struggle with anxiety and ocd... also anhedonia and constant sinus congestion. Hard to separate whats pssd whats not. I was hoping even just the sinus congestion might improve with this diet, but so far no luck.
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

Please note that carnivore diet is not keto (way too much proteins for ketosis. And you need lots of supplements to avoid getting sick from a carnivore diet.
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Symptoms: sexual & emotional numbness
GIXXER

Unread post by GIXXER »

Thomas wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:34 pm Please note that carnivore diet is not keto (way too much proteins for ketosis. And you need lots of supplements to avoid getting sick from a carnivore diet.
Please note keto diet is low carb. Usually 20 grams a day or less. So yes the carnivore diet is considered keto. What supplements are you talking about?
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

GIXXER wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:36 pm Please note keto diet is low carb. Usually 20 grams a day or less.
Yes, keto diet requires low carb intakes.
So yes the carnivore diet is considered keto.
No, low carb intakes is not enough to achieve ketosis. Too much proteins will prevent ketosis.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic ... ie_MCT.svg
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Troskie

Unread post by Troskie »

Protein certainly causes a rise in insulin, but it's an order of magnitude less than carbs.

Eating just ribeyes from walmart, its 290 calories with 200 of those calories from fat. Thats a 69% fat diet with 31% protein.

For most of carnivore I wasn't just eating ribeye though, I only tried that for a month. Most of the time it was cheesy bacon omelette with sour cream and 80/20 beef patties with lots of cheese. This is even more fatty, I don't have the numbers in front of me but i'd be surprised if its not at least 80% calories from fat. I'd wager most if not all of the people doing keto, that are actually eating the alotted 20g net carbs, are having higher insulin spikes than I am.
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

Troskie wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:27 am Eating just ribeyes from walmart, its 290 calories with 200 of those calories from fat. Thats a 69% fat diet with 31% protein.

For most of carnivore I wasn't just eating ribeye though, I only tried that for a month. Most of the time it was cheesy bacon omelette with sour cream and 80/20 beef patties with lots of cheese. This is even more fatty, I don't have the numbers in front of me but i'd be surprised if its not at least 80% calories from fat. I'd wager most if not all of the people doing keto, that are actually eating the alotted 20g net carbs, are having higher insulin spikes than I am.
This is not keto, this is low carb. In ketogenic diet, (weight of fat) / (weight of carbohydrate *and* protein) is typically 4:1.
Anyway, when you switch to ketosis, you know it for sure. If you haven't felt it, that wasn't keto.

We can talk in PM if we want to avoid flooding this post ;)
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

I've been diagnosed with prediabetes. It's mind boggling because I'm skinny as a rail and partial fast everyday. I never had high glucose before ssri.
angeloinvolo

Unread post by angeloinvolo »

Thank you very much for your reply!

I think It could be interesting knowing about people in this forum that have tested their blood sugar level before and after ssri.

I've read symptoms of diabetes and prediabetes and they are very near to pssd symptoms
Don't take candy from strangers

escitalopram drops 20 mg from 28 august - 6 september 2017
2 drops the first day increasing gradually until 6 the last day (cold turkey)
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

Reduced sert function causes glucose intolerance and insulin resistance independent of food intake. Not sure how many people with pssd have high glucose and insulin but it would interesting to find out.