Theories on PSSD after limited exposure

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
Janzio

Theories on PSSD after limited exposure

Unread post by Janzio »

Are there any possible explanations as to how some people can develop PSSD after very limited exposure to SRIs? How could they possibly do so much damage to some people after just a single dose or a few doses? It really doesn't make much sense to me.
Chuck83

Re: Theories on PSSD after limited exposure

Unread post by Chuck83 »

In some people who are particularly unfortunate and susceptible to the mechanism of action of SSRIs, which appears to consist in the epigenetic desinsitization of the 5HT1-A receptors of serotonin. And in the interruption of the signal of androgens, with the consequent alteration of neurosteroids such as allopregnanolone, changes appear that, however absurd they may be immediately. These are some speculations.

However, before the adverse reaction to citalopram, years before I had taken for some month non-SSRI antidepressants such as Amitriptaline and Amisulpride for depression. The first is a tricyclic antidepressant rather similar to an SSRI, which could possibly have caused some silent damage they have after the Citalopram drops exacerbated, but I can't know.

In recent years I have known many people with PSSD from a single dose, the same thing, that is the loss of normal sexual function can also occur with one or a few doses of the drug for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia finasteride and other inhibitors of the 5-alpha redtuctase enzyme as well as other serototinergic drugs and supplements such as 5-HTP.
Twentyoneguns

Unread post by Twentyoneguns »

My symptoms started within minutes of taking my first dose of Sertraline (50mg). Just how quickly can epigenetic changes be made? To me it seemed to be either the radpid destruction of some part of my brain or an immediate imbalancing which has remained stuck in that state. I remain optimistic it is the latter and will revert...I have experienced spontaneous total remission of both depression and CFS in the past...so not an entirely misplaced hope!!
Male
PSSD after 3 days on Sertraline (50mg) (Aurobindo) December 2016 to date.
Tinnitus, insomnia (1.5 hours/night sleep) poor memory/cognition as a bonus!
Possibly PSSD from October 1998...just didn't realise what I was suffering from! (pre internet)
Janzio

Unread post by Janzio »

Twentyoneguns wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:28 pm My symptoms started within minutes of taking my first dose of Sertraline (50mg). Just how quickly can epigenetic changes be made? To me it seemed to be either the radpid destruction of some part of my brain or an immediate imbalancing which has remained stuck in that state. I remain optimistic it is the latter and will revert...I have experienced spontaneous total remission of both depression and CFS in the past...so not an entirely misplaced hope!!
When did you have CFS and depression? By spontaneous you mean like overnight?
Twentyoneguns

I've had several periods of severe depression since 1979 (age 21) varying in duration from 3 to 9 months, all have ended spontaneously....yes, literally over night....such a weird feeling to wake up completely well again. It was such a shock I tried to dig myself back into the depression for some sort of comfort in what was my reality for so long strangely..it didn't work fortunately.

With the CFS, I've had several periods ranging from a few weeks to four years, each has ended spontaneously. On two occasions I went to bed in the afternoon exhausted and woke up an hour later completely well.

First CFS episode was after glandular fever/mono aged 22 in 1980, this lasted approx 1 year.

I've had PSSD symptoms since 1998, though I didn't know what had caused them, looking back at my medical records I saw I'd started taking SSRIs around that time. I had the bad crash on Sertraline in 2016, then found out about PSSD via Google. Strangely, in spite of googling my symptoms post 98 it never brought up any references to PSSD...that could have saved me a whole lot of shit eh?...wrong search terms maybe...I think things would be better now.

CFS and depression have happened both before and after onset of PSSD.

Hope this helps

Regards 21
Male
Possibly PSSD from October 1998...just didn't realise what I was suffering from! (pre internet)
Janzio

Unread post by Janzio »

Did any of your pssd symptoms clear up after 1998 or after 2016?
Twentyoneguns

Symptoms pretty stable from 98 to 2016, no worsening at least. I think I just learned to live with them. 2016 to 2019 condition obviously worse due to the crash, but stable. 2019 to present several crashes due to prescription drugs for non PSSD conditions (hypothyroidism and a scabby ass) and symptoms worsening continually in spite of not taking any meds/supplements for months. Currently trying acupuncture and hypnotherapy....I wouldn't be surprised if I crashed from these too!

Never had a window, and every crash has been permanent
Male