Good writeup about PSSD and suggestions for solutions

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
DrugsAreBad

Good writeup about PSSD and suggestions for solutions

Unread post by DrugsAreBad »

This looks like a good summary of the current understanding.

"PSSD: The why and the how to get it fixed"
https://men-elite.com/2020/09/11/pssd-t ... -it-fixed/

Last section copied from the page:

Plan of action against PSSD

So our goal to restore proper sexual function, is to restore 5-HT1A function and this can include optimizing the endocannabinoid system and lowering excess glutamate.

#1 Sensitize the 5-HT1A receptor with cycling an antagonist, such as cyproheptadine, or use something that can increase 5-HT1A levels, such as curcumin, Rhodiola Rosea, etc.

#2 Antagonize serotonin receptors

5-HT2A with feverfew, cyproheptadine, metergoline, Ginkgo Biloba, Bacopa monneiri:
5-HT2C with ginseng (if you get anxiety from ginseng, combine it with a pro-GABA supplement) or Silk tree
5-HT3 with ginger
#3 Increase SERT, which transports serotonin out of the synaptic cleft. Salt and zinc can effectively help.

Endotoxins in the gut can potently inhibit SERT when they bind to the TLR4 receptor (R). So anything that might be irritating your gut, such as raw foods, starches, crispy food, partially digested food, etc., might dramatically worsen your symptoms by increasing serotonin.

#4 Increase dopamine. A few good compounds include Bromantane, uridine, huperzine A, taurine, phenylalanine, phenylpiracetam, etc.

#5 Increase endocannabinoids by inhibiting FAAH, with maca, PEA, blueberry extract (it contains Pterostilbene), etc.

#6 Use aphrodisiac supplements, such as yohimbine, Muira puama, etc., or sythetic melanocortins such as melanotan.

Solving PSSD can rarely be done from only one angle. It has to be addressed from multiple angles.
Tree

Re: Good writeup about PSSD and suggestions for solutions

Unread post by Tree »

Please do not take ginger. I crashed two years ago from it and never recovered. Ginger is also a 5ht1a agonist, which will desensitize receptors further. Crashed/serotonin syndrome eight days after consuming about an inch of raw ginger in a smoothie every morning.
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

Tree wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:56 pm Please do not take ginger. I crashed two years ago from it and never recovered. Ginger is also a 5ht1a agonist, which will desensitize receptors further. Crashed/serotonin syndrome eight days after consuming about an inch of raw ginger in a smoothie every morning.
Serotonin syndrome is a severe reaction.
Did you take Ginger alone?

It's good to know that because I love ginger, but I don't wanna mess with my regimen.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

Yes, ginger was taken by itself. I was on ssri for three years. At the time of taking ginger, I had been off ssri for two years, but it still felt like I was on ssri. Nothing changed when stopping the ssri. My theory is 5ht1a receptors were already desensitized from ssri, due to lack of sert function. Ginger caused too much serotonin to accumulate because of 5ht1a activation and dysfunctional sert. Blocked 5ht1a receptors inhibit serotonin release. Ginger also increases serotonin levels. Literally, one day from the next, I came home from a walk, and began to feel so nauseous and agitated. Also I couldn't sleep and dick was the most numb it had ever been. Now, 5ht1a receptors are downregulated more than before, and for some reason, will not upregulate to baseline before ginger.
rmichaelballow

Unread post by rmichaelballow »

DrugsAreBad wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:22 am This looks like a good summary of the current understanding.

"PSSD: The why and the how to get it fixed"
https://men-elite.com/2020/09/11/pssd-t ... -it-fixed/

Last section copied from the page:

Plan of action against PSSD

So our goal to restore proper sexual function, is to restore 5-HT1A function and this can include optimizing the endocannabinoid system and lowering excess glutamate.

#1 Sensitize the 5-HT1A receptor with cycling an antagonist, such as cyproheptadine, or use something that can increase 5-HT1A levels, such as curcumin, Rhodiola Rosea, etc.

#2 Antagonize serotonin receptors

5-HT2A with feverfew, cyproheptadine, metergoline, Ginkgo Biloba, Bacopa monneiri:
5-HT2C with ginseng (if you get anxiety from ginseng, combine it with a pro-GABA supplement) or Silk tree
5-HT3 with ginger
#3 Increase SERT, which transports serotonin out of the synaptic cleft. Salt and zinc can effectively help.

Endotoxins in the gut can potently inhibit SERT when they bind to the TLR4 receptor (R). So anything that might be irritating your gut, such as raw foods, starches, crispy food, partially digested food, etc., might dramatically worsen your symptoms by increasing serotonin.

#4 Increase dopamine. A few good compounds include Bromantane, uridine, huperzine A, taurine, phenylalanine, phenylpiracetam, etc.

#5 Increase endocannabinoids by inhibiting FAAH, with maca, PEA, blueberry extract (it contains Pterostilbene), etc.

#6 Use aphrodisiac supplements, such as yohimbine, Muira puama, etc., or sythetic melanocortins such as melanotan.

Solving PSSD can rarely be done from only one angle. It has to be addressed from multiple angles.
Misleading in a variety of ways. Zinc, being a partial 1A agonist, is not the way to up-regulate SERT. Antagonizing serotonin receptors will merely temporarily up-regulate said receptors. Not permanently. Lots of other... inaccurate stuff.
DrugsAreBad

Unread post by DrugsAreBad »

Antagonizing serotonin receptors will merely temporarily up-regulate said receptors. Not permanently.
Actually that is something he writes in the article. This text is just a small part that I copy pasted.