Insomnia - help

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.

Do you have more trouble with sleep since PSSD?

No, I sleep better
13%
No, same as before
27%
Sometimes I have more difficulties to fall asleep (~once a week)
7%
Sometimes I wake up in the night (~once a week)
No votes
Sometimes I have more difficulties to fall asleep, sometimes I wake up in the night (~once a week)
7%
Often I have more difficulties to fall asleep (almost every day)
7%
Often I wake up in the night (almost every day)
13%
Often I have more difficulties to fall asleep and I wake up in the night (almost every day)
27%

Total votes: 15
alteredhomeostasis

Re: Insomnia - help

Unread post by alteredhomeostasis »

This has more to do with depression than pssd.

This happened to me the first time I was depressed in about 2009. It went away after about 6-12 months.

After I got pssd I became depressed and it happened again. It went away eventually and I sleep like a baby now.

Anti inflammatory meds, fish oil, and high dose vitamin D seem to help.
Luke20

Unread post by Luke20 »

Thomas wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:49 am I am surprised, looking at the poll and reading your stories, that insomnia is not reported in symptoms (like anhedonia, btw).
Are you sure you do not sleep at all? Many insomniacs sleep a bit during the night without noticing they do. There are tools to monitor it. I am thinking about buying one.
Thomas it's about 1-2 hours at most for the last 9 months. Some nights nothing atall I had to go for a walk at 4.00 last night because I couldnt sleep went to bed at 10.00.

Sylv you hit the nail on the head there! It's like PSSD puts your body in some sort of state where you just don't feel tiredness any time of day or night. A recovery with this insomnia is very unlikely on the sexual side and anhedonia in my opinion.
Luke20

Unread post by Luke20 »

sylv wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:45 am PSSD insomnia is like forced wakefulness caused by general anaesthesia and inability to properly feel tiredness. SSRI everything makes shallow and less deep - emotional pain, emotions, sex, sleep, eating, memory, cognitive processes - generally whole life.

Sill having all those + tinnitus and brain zaps in forehead area.
Sylv you hit the nail on the head. It is exactly forced wakefulness no matter how much you try to tire yourself out nothing works. I lay in bed at night not thinking anything I'm not stressed and just can't sleep. Slept like a baby all my life before citalopram never had an issue.
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

alteredhomeostasis wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:30 am This has more to do with depression than pssd.
This is interesting. Symptoms of PSSD look like those of the desease (depression) SSRIs are meant to cure. Is there any symptom of PSSD that could not be induced by a depression? I see only genital numbness, in its limited meaning (=permanent numbness, not only lack of sensations during sex).

In my case, when I was depressed I had much trouble to fall asleep but then sleep was ok. Now, after SSRIs, I fall asleep but wake up too early. Maybe anxiety...
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Symptoms: sexual & emotional numbness
Luke20

Unread post by Luke20 »

Thomas wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:46 am
alteredhomeostasis wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:30 am This has more to do with depression than pssd.
This is interesting. Symptoms of PSSD look like those of the desease (depression) SSRIs are meant to cure. Is there any symptom of PSSD that could not be induced by a depression? I see only genital numbness, in its limited meaning (=permanent numbness, not only lack of sensations during sex).

In my case, when I was depressed I had much trouble to fall asleep but then sleep was ok. Now, after SSRIs, I fall asleep but wake up too early. Maybe anxiety...
Yeah I agree mate. I'm definitely suffering with depression now for the first time in my life its hard not to be when you have pssd. I only had mild anxiety before ssris and never had a sleep problem. Anxiety used to wear me out and I'd sleep 8-10 hours a night
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

sylv wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:45 am PSSD insomnia is like forced wakefulness caused by general anaesthesia and inability to properly feel tiredness. SSRI everything makes shallow and less deep - emotional pain, emotions, sex, sleep, eating, memory, cognitive processes - generally whole life.
Do you mean you never feel tired?
I do feel tired when I wake up... but my body just do not want to sleep.
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Luke20

Unread post by Luke20 »

Does anyone know how i write a new message so it comes up on new topics for everyone to see?
Thanks
dann888

Unread post by dann888 »

Insomnia with waking up early mostly related to anxiety I think. because we are stressed much with PSSD and other physical problems too. Its better to stop overthink and make your body full relax without worrying. To achieve that I did wimhof breathing exercise and jogging for half an hour every other day. It made my sleep better with reduced anxiety. So you can do this both without medications.
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

Yep, I thought about anxiety. Insomnia came before I was anxious (5 hour sleep), but worsened afterwards (3 hours sleep).
I am already doing: 30 minutes of cardio-training, 7 minutes of High Intensity Interval Training, 15 minutes of breathing exercise, every day.
If this does not improve I will need to try some medications...
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

Doc gave me some benzo (Oxazepam). This cannot be a long term solution but if it helps...
Any opinion about this / benzos?