Melatonin gave me insomnia

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
Ch21

Melatonin gave me insomnia

Unread post by Ch21 »

Hello guys,

I would like to share my experience with melatonin with you. I took a melatonin supplement last night. This made me totally restless, tense and the tiredness was completely gone. For me it is completely unsuitable as a sleep aid.

I hope it's not a permanent effect.
arahant

Re: Melatonin gave me insomnia

Unread post by arahant »

Keep in mind that most melatonin supplements are not regulated and have poor quality control.
Poor Quality Control of Over-the-Counter Melatonin: What They Say Is Often Not What You Get
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5263069/
This study showed that more than a quarter of melatonin products contained serotonin.

I don't know which brand you are taking, it's always good to check the reputation of the lab, also if they have GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) certificates, etc...
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)
Ch21

Unread post by Ch21 »

arahant wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:59 pm Keep in mind that most melatonin supplements are not regulated and have poor quality control.
Poor Quality Control of Over-the-Counter Melatonin: What They Say Is Often Not What You Get
This study showed that more than a quarter of melatonin products contained serotonin.

I don't know which brand you are taking, it's always good to check the reputation of the lab, also if they have GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) certificates, etc...

That would also explain why I have completely dry skin since then and need forever to orgasm. That always happens when I take something with serotonin.
Is there actually a supplement that can lower serotonin?
Delfador

Unread post by Delfador »

No, it doesn't explain shit and doesn't even make sense. The serotonine molecule doesn't even cross the BBB.
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

Ch21 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:39 am
arahant wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:59 pm Keep in mind that most melatonin supplements are not regulated and have poor quality control.

That would also explain why I have completely dry skin since then and need forever to orgasm. That always happens when I take something with serotonin.
Is there actually a supplement that can lower serotonin?
You have been claiming weird crashes after every single pill of new stuff you take, I guess last time was due to Maca capsules.
Double-check if you are not falling into a nocebo loop.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Ch21

Unread post by Ch21 »

I know my body best and these are not effects that I just imagine.
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

Nocebo is not imaginary. Symptoms are real.
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Symptoms: sexual & emotional numbness
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

Ch21 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:41 pm I know my body best and these are not effects that I just imagine.
Yes, no one said it's all on your head and the body is disconnected to that, the symptoms are real.

For example, just watching a video of spiders is enough to trigger lots of symptoms and discomfort in people with arachnophobia.

Just imagining a spider is enough to trigger symptoms.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Zodar

Unread post by Zodar »

Nearly everyone on this forum will have been told at some point that their symptoms are psychosomatic or, according to standard medical science, 'impossible', but also assured that they're 'still real'. It's a frustrating claim because there's no real way of rebutting it except to say 'i know my own body', which leads to a completely circular counter argument about the body and the mind being connected. I've had genital shrinkage, numbness, bloody constipation, muscle spasms and a host of other symptoms dismissed (and that's what it really is, a dismissal) along the same lines by professionals, and there's nothing I can say back except that I didn't even know half these symptoms were possible.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to get across here, except maybe to say it's tedious to see the same lazy platitudes reiterated here of all places. I don't doubt there has to be a degree of anxiety/ nocebo in some posts about 'crashing', but imo we should all know from our own experiences not to use that as the first line of response. Very few of us are cured, and those that are don't really know how they fixed themselves, so, given that we're basically on the outer rims of medical understanding, we should just have the humility to say we don't have a fucking clue what's happened to us or why we react weirdly to things, and just take note of others pitfalls.
Ch21

Unread post by Ch21 »

Zodar wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:10 pm Nearly everyone on this forum will have been told at some point that their symptoms are psychosomatic or, according to standard medical science, 'impossible', but also assured that they're 'still real'. It's a frustrating claim because there's no real way of rebutting it except to say 'i know my own body', which leads to a completely circular counter argument about the body and the mind being connected. I've had genital shrinkage, numbness, bloody constipation, muscle spasms and a host of other symptoms dismissed (and that's what it really is, a dismissal) along the same lines by professionals, and there's nothing I can say back except that I didn't even know half these symptoms were possible.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to get across here, except maybe to say it's tedious to see the same lazy platitudes reiterated here of all places. I don't doubt there has to be a degree of anxiety/ nocebo in some posts about 'crashing', but imo we should all know from our own experiences not to use that as the first line of response. Very few of us are cured, and those that are don't really know how they fixed themselves, so, given that we're basically on the outer rims of medical understanding, we should just have the humility to say we don't have a fucking clue what's happened to us or why we react weirdly to things, and just take note of others pitfalls.
You say it. When I crash I always get totally dry skin and hair. I don't know how one could justify this psychologically.

That is the problem everything you don't know and there is no medical explanation is dismissed as psychomatic.